Skechers have been around for decades, and with good reason; they are versatile, stylish, and comfortable. Whether you are looking for shoes for jogging, workout, hiking, running, or athletics, Skechers has the perfect footwear for the occasion.
However, are Skechers good for you? This article delves into describing the features that make Skechers attractive and highlights the best varieties for you. Here is a snippet of what we’ll cover:
- The Origin of Skechers
- How to Pick Skechers
- Our Top Skechers Recommendation
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Origin of Skechers
Robert Greenberg established Skechers in 1992 in the USA. At that time, not many “big” brands were offering casual streetwear. The main competitors were Nike and L.A. Gear, who provided men’s and women’s athletic shoes, respectively.
Skechers entered the scene with their flagship Skechers “Chrome Dome” in 1993. It was designed to look appealing as footwear for young hip wearers. Since then, Skechers has had over 3,000 footwear designs from their GoRun brands and their GoWalk to their diverse footwear technology, memory foam, and Googa Mat insoles.
How to Pick Skechers
Generally, there are several things that we must put into consideration when we are buying any pair of shoes. In addition to finding the appropriate shoe size, the quality of construction materials used for the external body, lining and insole are critical factors to consider when buying shoes.
When you wear correctly fitted footwear, you get a stable platform for your feet to support your body. You create optimal alignment from your feet to your knees, minimizing wear on your spine, joints, and tendons in the long run.
If the shoes are ill-fitting, i.e., they are either too big or small, you’re impairing the platform from which your feet support your body. Wear tight shoes, and you run the risk of acquiring blisters, calluses, and bunions on your feet.
Wearing shoes that are too big prevents your feet from getting proper traction, meaning you’ll have to use more energy to support your body as you move. This, in turn, causes you to walk in an unnatural and often dysfunctional way, thanks to foot-related issues.
Read more about the side-effects of wearing shoes that are too big here.
Shoes come in various sizes for men and women alike. Knowing your shoe size will spare you the hassle and inconvenience of returning shoes, especially if you bought them online.
For maximum comfort, it’s imperative to measure your feet before buying new shoes. Luckily, Skechers offers a shoe size chart for men, women, and children. Note that size often differs between brands and types, so following the brand’s recommendations is best.
After finding the right fit, the next thing is inspecting the shoe sole. The sole should be flexible, meaning it should bend freely. The sole’s flexibility should not be confused with the softness of the inner padding. And this is where the ‘bending’ test comes in.
To do this, bend the shoe such that the heel and toe area move towards each other. If the soles take a V form, then the footwear has outstanding flexibility.
The best shoe soles are those that mimic the action of your bare feet, i.e., they “roll” against the ground, engaging your foot and leg muscles. Flexibility allows your feet to remain comfortable by moving more naturally than thicker-soled shoes.
Try Both Skechers On
Most people don’t have identical feet. While the difference is hardly noticeable in some, it is more pronounced in others.
Take a piece of paper and outline your feet shape using a pencil to confirm this theory. Measure the length and width of your sketch using a ruler or tape to help you find the discrepancies in length and width.
Feet are rarely ever the same length and width, which is why it is always advisable to try on both shoes and not just one. Right-handed people usually have a larger right foot. Vice-versa applies for left-handed people.
Choosing the Right Shoe for the Right Function
Form always follows the function. Avid runners, for instance, understand the importance of choosing the correct running shoe. The right shoe keeps the muscles and joints healthy, helping you obtain the maximum benefits of running.
The Skechers Go Run collection is specifically designed for running. The footwear incorporates Hyper Burst foam, which is exposed to supercritical carbon dioxide gas that is then heated under pressure until it turns liquid.
This transformation creates irregular-shaped pockets in the foam, making it lighter and bouncier than standard EVA foam while keeping its durability. That durability extends to Skechers’ outsoles as well, which use high-traction Goodyear rubber. All these features are suitable for running shoes.
Skechers GoWalk 5 Collection is an excellent walking shoe design for women. With the 5GEN midsole and the Goga Max insole, the shoes provide a bouncy effect and an all-day comfortable feel. Goga pillars are additional special features that support the midsole in absorbing shock and providing needed comfort while walking.
Our Top Skechers Recommendations
Skechers Men’s Arch Fit Oxford
The Arch Fit Oxford by Skechers is ideal for those with flat feet or high arches. It is highly breathable, thanks to the engineered mesh fabric uppers. The highly cushioned insole comes with a podiatrist-certified arch support feature that meets the needs of its users.
The Arch Fit Oxfords feature a padded collar and a traditional lace-up closure with a tongue. They come with a 1.5-inch flexible rubber outsole that provides the total support you need to walk or run without excessive sweating.
- It comes in a wide range of colors and color mixtures.
- Perfect arch support for your feet.
- Highly breathable.
- It is relatively expensive; the prices range between $75 — $163.
- It doesn’t run true to size.
Skechers GoWalk Duro
Skechers GoWalk Duro is ideal for those with foot pain, leg fatigue, or a sore back. The lightweight shoe is designed with a soft insole made with Air Cooled Goga Mat technology and features a shock-absorbing ULTRA-GO midsole, a feature that confers a lightweight property on the shoe.
The upper side features a woven canvas fabric with smooth, water-repellent suede overlays at the toes and heel panel. It also has a dual side-stretch fabric panel, making it easy to slip on and off.
- Keep the pace up mile after mile with the Skechers GOwalk Duro. Woven durable canvas fabric and sport suede upper with cushioned, supportive sole design. Designed with Skechers Performance technology and materials specifically for athletic walking. Air Cooled Goga Mat Technology insole and ULTRA GO midsole with high-rebound cushioning.
- UPPER: Lightweight and durable canvas and suede upper. Woven canvas fabric upper. Smooth soft sport suede overlays at toe and heel panel. Slip on design with dual side stretch fabric panels. Water repellent treated upper design. Extra padded heel with top pull on tab. Stretch fabric side panel detail. Side S logo.
- MIDSOLE CUSHION: Skechers GOwalk Duro midsole and outsole for high level cushioning and support. ULTRA GO midsole – proprietary lightweight injection-molded compound with memory retention helps absorb impact. Durable high impact one piece midsole design.
- INSOLE CUSHION: Air Cooled Goga Mat technology insole for maximum support and cushioning. Features high-rebound cushioning with responsive feedback. OUTSOLE/BOTTOM: Flexible rubber sole provides durability and stability.
- WEIGHT: Radically lightweight 9 1/2 oz. in a men’s size 9. HEEL: 1 3/4 inch heel.
- It is durable and lightweight.
- It is water-resistant.
- It is slip-resistant.
- It has excellent arch support.
- It is versatile.
- It has a wide toe-box.
- It has a wide range of available colors.
- The fitting is not true to size.
- It runs wide; thus not ideal for people with narrow feet.
Skechers Go Walk 5
Thanks to its soft insole and lightweight design, the Skechers Go Walk 5 gives the sensation that you are walking on air.. The insole is made with Skechers Air Cooled Goga Mat, ensuring desired comfort and support to your feet. The upper is made of seamless, embroidered flat-knit material that allows fresh air to flow to your feet.
- Lightweight dual-density Ultra Go outsole with comfort pillar technology
- Skechers Air Cooled Goga Mat insole
- Breathable air mesh upper
- Machine washable, air dry
Skechers Go Walk 5 is a slip-on shoe with elastic goring at the sides. The outsole features a lightweight dual-density outsole with comfort pillar technology for high traction.
- It has multiple colors and designs.
- It is versatile; it can easily switch between casual and smart wear.
- It is lightweight and breathable.
- It provides good traction.
- It has a narrow toe box.
- It doesn’t run true to size. It’s best to buy half a size smaller just to be safe.
Skechers Depth Charge 2.0
Sketchers Depth Charge 2.0 is a lightweight shoe that’s so comfortable that some customers have compared the feeling to walking on clouds. This comfort is facilitated by an air-cooled memory foam insole delivering good arch support to your feet.
The shoe comes with a breathable mesh upper, ensuring quality ventilation to your feet, making it ideal for people who are on their feet all day, like nurses.
The shoe has a high-quality rubber outsole and a bouncy midsole, providing strong traction to your feet. The shoe’s upper comes with an elastic band that helps for easy slip-on and off of your feet. It’s a dream come true for people who prefer slip-on shoes to laced-up.
- It comes in different color varieties.
- It offers great arch support.
- It is affordable
- It is ideal for all-day wear.
- The fitting is not true to size.
- It runs wide for people with narrow feet.
- It makes squeaky sounds when worn on tiled surfaces.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Care for Skechers Footwear?
Below are step-by-step instructions on how to clean Skechers:
- Start by eliminating excess dirt from the upper and outer sole using a small brush or towel.
- Once done, make a soapy mixture by combining warm water and a few drops of laundry detergent.
- Dip the towel into the mixture and wipe down the affected area. Apply a small amount of clean, warm water with the brush or cloth and wipe off the excess soap.
- Allow shoes to air dry.
Are Skechers True to Size?
Yes, some Skechers styles like Arch Fit run true to size. However, most of the Skecher varieties are not true to size. You will need to try them in person to get the right fit.
Conclusion: Are Skechers Good Shoes?
Skechers are known for their excellence in performance, quality, and comfort when it comes to footwear. Skechers are fitted with the latest technological features and superior construction. Few shoe companies compare to Skechers’ attention to detail or continued efforts in bringing you the best products available.
Skechers is a good brand for men and women alike. They offer comfortable and stylish shoes that are still lightweight, comfortable, breathable, and affordable.
Most Sketchers shoes are fitted with Memory-Foam, which adjusts to the contours of your feet and supports your feet as you walk. With high-quality mesh fabric, Skechers ensures that your feet don’t feel hot or moist. The memory foam also helps you push off the ground with ease.