Did you buy your boots in haste and not check the size properly? Maybe they were a perfect fit at the time but have stretched with wear. Our guide to the best insoles for boots that are too big will help you get a snug fit again.
Whatever the reason, if you now find you have a pair of boots which your feet are swimming around in, this guide can help.
1. Timberland PRO Men’s Replacement Insole Anti-Fatigue Technology
Designed to give energy back to your feet, these shock absorbers cushion each step you take. Providing support and comfort, their antimicrobial top cover regulates foot temperature and keeps them fresh. The contoured footbed and dynamic fit arch adapt to all shapes of feet and will fill up extra space in your boots.
- KEEP IT COMFORTABLE: Timberland PRO insoles offer a carefully engineered upgrade in performance & comfort. The Anti-Fatigue Technology Insole features our exclusive inverted cone foam, designed to absorb shock & return energy to your feet with every step.
- ANTI-FATIGUE TECHNOLOGY: A comfort system designed with shock-absorbing, geometrical technology that returns energy back to the foot to deliver all-day support & comfort. Stay comfortable on your feet all day with Timberland PRO's anti-fatigue technology.
- A SOURCE OF PRIDE: We know you take pride in your work, so our soft-toed shoes and boots and steel-toe boots and shoes are designed to provide you with enhanced job performance day in and day out. Wear them at work well as at home with comfort & style.
- QUALITY WORKWEAR: Timberland PRO assesses the unmet needs of those who work in the most demanding environments and then develops solutions that deliver ultimate comfort, durability & protection—all day long—from work boots & shoes to anti-fatigue insoles.
2. Superfeet Green Full Length Insole
The heel cup on the Superfeet insoles offers support to your feet and helps absorb shock. Biomechanically shaped, they can easily take up an extra half size in your boots. Made from closed-cell foam, the outer coating has odor control to keep feet fresh.
- Full-Length Fit: High-profile, high-volume Superfeet insoles are designed to fill the length and width of your shoe for maximum support, simply trim the arch-support inserts to fit your shoes
- Stabilizer Cap: Our specialized insoles for men and women feature a base-layer stabilizer cap designed to support the rearfoot and provide additional structure and stability to the foam layer
- Deep Heel Cup: Equipped with the widest, deepest of heel cups for heel pain, these high-arch insoles for men and women offer maximum support and assist with natural shock absorption
- Superfeet Shape: The high-profile, special orthotic shape of our arch-support shoe inserts helps stabilize and support the foot, which can help reduce stress on the feet, ankles, and knees
- High Density Foam: The closed-cell foam layer in these arch-support insoles for women and men supports and cushions the foot for durable, long-lasting comfort.
3. Dr. Scholl’s Pain Relief Orthotics for Heavy Duty Support
These insoles are made to go the distance, designed for people weighing up to and over 200 pounds. They can be trimmed to fit any boots and have shock guard technology to support your feet and prevent fatigue. These could be the extra layer you need to make your boots fit.
- Designed for men over 200 pounds who suffer from lower back pain and foot & leg fatigue from being on their feet
- Arch guard plus shock guard technology distributes weight and reduces impact
- Relieves lower back pain and foot & leg fatigue from being on your feet; Specially designed for men over 200 pounds
- Fits casual shoes, sneakers & work boots/shoes. Trim to fit in any shoe. How to use - Replace orthotics every (6) months or at the first signs of wear. Step 1 - If needed, trim along the outline (on the underside of the orthotic) that matches your shoe size. Step 2 - Insert orthotics into shoes with fabric side up
- Dr. Scholl's offers a money back guarantee if you're not satisfied with the product
4. Samurai Insoles for Flat Feet Instant-Relief Orthotics
These insoles are a good solution for boots that are too big. They give support in all the right places, molding to your feet as you walk. They bounce the energy back to your feet.
- Lighting fast plantar fasciitis relief and more! Simply replace your shoes’ factory insoles with our Original Samurai Insoles for relief from many common foot and leg symptoms, including shin splints.
- Designed by a leading podiatrist to address the root cause of plantar fasciitis, shins splints, neuromas, tendonitis, flat feet and many other common foot issues.
- Samurai Insoles have a supportive, yet comfortably flexible, orthotic core built right inside so you get the support you need without sacrificing your comfort. Most other plantar fasciitis insoles are simply an expensive cushion with little support.
- Podiatrist designed, state-of-the-art orthotic laboratory made, right here in the USA.
- Relief 100% guaranteed or your money back!
5. Sof Sole Insoles Men’s Athlete Performance
Sof Sole brings us this slightly thicker comfort insole which will take up the gap in your boots. They have gel pads in the sole and heel for cushioning and a built-in moisture management system for dry, cool feet.
- Performance orthotic insoles improve the comfort and fit of men’s footwear; ideal for walking, running, cross training, and casual use
- Contoured neutral arch is suitable for most foot types; inserts designed to fit in casual and athletic footwear
- Lightweight cushioning and gel pads in the heel and forefoot offer comfort without bulk
- Hydrologix moisture-wicking treatment helps to keep feet dry, managing temperature Provides energy return and increased performance
- Available in five trim-to-fit sizes for men's casual and athletic shoes: Men's 7-8.5, Men's 9-10.5, Men's 11-12.5, Men's 13-14, and Men's 15-16
6. Spenco Rx Orthotic Arch Support
The Spenco RX insole has a moldable arch support and antimicrobial treated fabric. It is 0.16 inches thick making it a good option for smaller adjustments to boot size.
- Full length provides complete heel-to-toe comfort
- Spencore material exclusive cushioning layer absorbs shock and impact to provide maximum comfort
- Moldable arch insert the flexible plastic arch insert helps support and control the foot, Moldable Orthotic Cradle, Technical Topcloth
- 7 sizes for correct arch placement for better overall fit, comfort and performance
- 4-way stretch fabric with silpure antimicrobial helps prevent blisters while controlling odor
Taking up the slack in boots that are too big can give them a new lease of life. Here are our top six picks for insoles to fill that unwanted space in your boots.
1. Timberland PRO Men’s Anti-Fatigue Technology Replacement Insole
New England-based company, Timberland, has achieved a good standing worldwide. It produced its first iconic sand-colored boot back in the early 1970s. The company makes a wide range of footwear and clothing.
Timberland’s exclusive design feature is an inverted cone foam insole. It absorbs the shock the ground exerts, and returns energy to your feet. This eases fatigue when wearing boots all day.
These insoles are available in sizes XXL, suitable for men’s size 14 to 15, right down to XS, suitable for women’s boot size 5 to 6. They can be trimmed to fit any boots.
Lightweight support is provided by the anatomically-contoured footbed. It comfortably cradles your foot, and supports your heels and arches. A trademarked Ortholite top layer helps manage moisture in the boots and keeps your feet cool and fresh.
Thicker than most, the insoles will reduce excess space inside your boots.
This video from Timberland shows the cone design anti-fatigue technology.
- Insoles are thick — enough to take up extra boot room.
- Patented inverted foam cone design.
- Trimmable to adjust fit.
- Supports all types of foot arch.
- Wide insoles need cutting to fit most boots properly.
|These insoles are thick enough to take up extra room in your boots. They come in a range of sizes for men and women, and can be cut down for a perfect fit. An innovative inverted foam cone design cushions tired feet.|
2. Superfeet GREEN Full Length Insole
These insoles from Superfeet are durable and thick with a high profile shape. This makes them large enough to take up the extra space in your boots.
They are designed to be long-lasting while giving support to your feet for an average of 500 miles or up to 12 months of wear.
The heel cup is deep and wide and helps absorb the shock delivered to your feet from walking. The high profile will stabilize your feet and reduce extra stress on ankles and knees.
Constructed from high-density foam covered with an odor control coating, feet stay comfortable, fresh and cool. The base of the insole has a stabilizer cap which gives stability to the inner layers.
They come in sizes for kids, 13.5 to 2, women, 4.5 to 12.5+ and men, 5.5 to 17.
This video from Wiggle shows you the Super Green insoles in action.
- High insoles will help fill the space in your boots.
- Durable and comfortable.
- Deep heel cup for support.
- Might take some time to get used to them.
|These are insoles with a good width and thickness for filling spaces in too-large boots. They have a deep heel cup, offering support for feet, ankles and knees.|
3. Dr. Scholl’s Pain Relief Orthotics
Dr. William Mathias Scholl patented his first arch support for feet back in 1904. The company has international standing and brings many items for foot care to the market.
These insoles, while designed to be heavy duty, can be used by anyone. They are available in one size, 8 through to 14, and are trimmed to fit. Both women and men find they can wear them.
Thick enough to take up the slack caused by boots which are too big, these insoles will not crowd your toes.
They have a deep cup heel. This helps reduce fatigue in legs and feet, and can also reduce lower backache.
Dr. Scholl’s arch guard technology supports your feet. It’s recommended that these insoles are changed about every six months. Fortunately, these are a lower-priced insole, making that a more affordable option.
- Thick enough to make boots snug without crowding toes.
- Heavy duty.
- Designed for people over 200 pounds but can be worn by all shapes and sizes.
- Might need replacing frequently.
- Some find they make noises when you walk.
|A heavy duty insole which can take up the slack in boots that are too big. They are supportive and available in one size, which can be trimmed to fit.|
4. Samurai Insoles Instant-Relief Orthotics
These insoles from Samurai might release your inner ninja. Designed by podiatrist Dr. Thomas Lembo, they are sold in two thicknesses.
The original Samurai are thinner and would be great if your boots are just a little too big. The Samurai Sumo offers a thicker option if you need to fill more of your boots.
Whichever you choose, the technology remains the same. They are lightweight and low profile, giving a good fit and plenty of comfort. The inner core is springy and supports feet just where they need it.
They are available in half increment sizes for men and women, from size 4 through to 16.5. These insoles are designed for people with flat feet, but others find the arch support comfortable as well.
The company is confident in their product and offer a 60-day money back guarantee; they will even pay the return shipping.
This video from Samurai Insoles explains the Samurai conception and benefits.
- Available in sizes to fit your shoes rather than a one-size-fits-all trim option.
- Two thicknesses, depending on how big your boots are.
- 60-day money back guarantee and return shipping paid.
- The red color could bleed into your socks.
- Durability might be lacking.
|These insoles come in two thicknesses and are sized to fit your boots. While designed for people with flat feet, others find the arch support good. The company offers a full money back guarantee if they are not suitable.|
5. Sof Sole Insoles Men’s Athlete Performance
SOF Sole has produced footwear accessories since the early 1990’s. This range of insoles covers numerous types of footwear, including boots.
These one-piece insoles have a gel pad in the forefoot and heel. They are about a ¼-inch thick, so substantial enough to make a difference to your boot size.
Treated with Sof Sole’s Hyrologix, they keep feet cool and dry. They also have antimicrobial treatment, Microban, embedded into the foam, to prevent bacterial growth. The base of the insole is durable polyurethane.
Available in men’s sizes 7 through to 16, they can be trimmed for a perfect fit. These insoles are comfortable and supportive, keeping your feet comfortable during long days at work.
Sof Sole offers a one-year replacement warranty against defects in this insole.
This video from the manufacturer highlights the features of the athlete performance insole.
- Gel inserts in heels and forefoot.
- Anti-bacterial and wicking properties.
- ¼-inch thick to adjust your boot size.
- The insoles might squeak in some boots.
|These insoles have a good thickness for making up the shortfall when your boots are too big. They have antibacterial and wicking properties, for cool, dry, fresh feet.|
6. Spenco Rx Orthotic Arch Support Full Length Shoe Insoles
Spenco Footwear has manufactured insoles for the last 50 years. The company aims to provide comfort for the whole of your foot.
These insoles come in eight different sizes for men and women, from size 3 up to 16. At ¼-inch thick at the heel, these are a good option when boots are just slightly too big.
A moldable arch insert, made from flexible plastic, supports the arch of the foot. There is a patented cushioned layer, which absorbs shock and provides comfort.
The upper is made from a 4-way stretch fabric, with an antimicrobial treatment to control foot odor.
Check out some of the features in this video from PhysioRoom.
- Moldable arch insert for foot support.
- 25 inches thick to help your boots feel snug.
- Antimicrobial treated materials.
- They can move inside your boots, causing them to squeak.
- Can be difficult to mold the plastic arch support.
|These insoles have a moldable arch and are antimicrobial. They are thinner than some and a good option for boots which are a little too large.|
Why Are Your Boots Too Big?
There are a few reasons your boots could be too big. It might have been an impulse buy, where you sacrificed size for style. Maybe it was an online purchase and you can’t return them.
It might not be a new pair of boots. Your old faithfuls, which are your “go to” boots, might have stretched with wear. It could even be the time of year. Feet that have swollen during the hot summer months can be smaller when the weather is cold. If you have lost weight, this can also affect your foot size, strangely enough!
No matter what the reason is, boots that are too big are just not comfortable. Your heels could be slipping and causing blisters, and you might feel your feet are lost inside the boots.
So, other than throwing them in the trash or donating to charity — what is the solution?
Wearing Insoles to Make Boots Smaller
One of the easiest ways to make boots smaller so they fit our feet well is to wear insoles. They sit in the base of your boots and push your feet upward. This will fill in the gaps created by your loose footwear, making them snug again.
There are many different brands and sizes of insoles, let’s find out what to look for in an insole.
Choosing Insoles for Boots That Are Too Big
Check out the shape of the soles of your boots before choosing an insole. You want some that are going to fit well and not exacerbate the problem by moving around. Some will be sized to fit your boots, while others can be trimmed to fit.
You also need to make sure that the insole fits your foot. You can do this by standing on the insole on the floor. It should encompass your foot from heel to toe and also feel comfortable.
If you wear your boots for work, or are on your feet a lot, you want an insole that will last. There are cheap insoles out there, but the chances are they won’t be durable.
The whole point of insoles for boots which are too large is to make them fit. Consider the thickness of the insoles and the amount of padding they offer. If your boots are only a fraction too big you don’t need a pair that are too thick.
Need to fill half a size or more? Choose a thicker insole.
The added advantage of padded insoles is that they absorb the impact placed on your feet when you walk. This can help relieve stress on not just your feet but your ankles, knees, and back, as well.
Adding an extra layer into your boots could make your feet sweat more, however. Insoles with antimicrobial properties can help prevent the growth of bacteria which make feet and boots smell.
Generally, it’s recommended that you remove existing insoles when placing new ones in. However, the object of the exercise here is to decrease size, so leaving your original insoles in your boots might help.
This video can help guide you in fitting your insoles.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Know Which Insoles Are Best for My Big Boots?
We have highlighted some of the features to look for in an insole. One of the main ones to take into account when your feet are floating around in your boots is their thickness.
If you just need a small adjustment then thin ones will be fine. If your feet are walking out of your boots, look for thicker insoles.
Will Thick Socks Help My Boots Fit Better?
Wearing thicker socks may help in some cases. However, they can also make your feet sweat more and you feet are still likely to move in the boot. This might result in blisters on your feet. Insoles are a more suitable option.
How Can I Tell If My Boots Are Too Big?
There are a few ways to check if your boots are too big.
Tie up the laces, and if the shoelace panels overlap, then they are too wide. If your feet are slipping and sliding in your boots when you walk, they are too big.
Finally, if you press the top of your boot in front of your big toe when standing, and it meets the sole, then yes, it’s too big.
Which Insoles Are Best for Loose Boots?
The choice of insoles when your boots are too big will depend on the amount of space in the boots. If it’s just a little, then a thinner insole like the Samurai will suit. If you have a lot of space to fill, a thicker option, like the Timberland would be better.
Both of these products provide additional support and cushioning for your feet. The ultimate choice is yours.
We hope you enjoyed our guide to the best insoles for boots that are too big and would love to hear your thoughts. Please leave us a comment and don’t forget to share.