Are your dress shoes cramping your style? You find that your feet are not comfortable and you don’t want to wear them. Give them a new lease of life with our guide to the best insoles for dress shoes.
Sometimes your most comfortable sneakers or boots just won’t cut it. You need to wear dress shoes, but they are hurting your feet. Let’s look at the top insoles available and how they can help.
Best Dress Shoe Insoles Featured Recommendations
1. Superfeet Easyfit Men’s Dress Shoe Comfort Orthotic Inserts – Best For Men
Give your heels and arches support without crowding your toes. These three-quarter length insoles have a microsuede top and slip resistant lower ridges to hold it in place. Designed to support and stabilize your feet, they also have odor control built in.
- DESIGNED FOR: Superfeet Aftersport black sandals for men were specifically designed to provide a naturally supportive energizing foundation made to help you feel refreshed after your workout and ready for your next activity.
- COMFORT AND RECOVERY IS KEY: Just like your body needs sleep, even the healthiest feet need moments of rest and recovery. The no-rub upper of these comfort mens recovery sandals feel smooth against bare skin and allows your feet to re-energize after a strenuous workout.
- CUSHION AND STRUCTURE: The Aerosoft Comfort Soft Foam cushioned sandals cushion the foot while the orthotic shape and underfoot support helps prevent injury, relieve pain, and give your body the energizing comfort you deserve.
- AIR CIRCULATION AND ODOR CONTROL: The textured anti-slip footbed encourages airflow and maximizes breathability.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Made from smooth polyurethane, the Superfeet Aftersport Sandals keep their shape for a new shoe feel with every wear.
2. Superfeet Premium Insoles
This low profile insole is slim but still provides support and comfort, making it a good option for dress shoes. A reinforced cap and heel cup give your foot stability, while closed-cell foam cushions your feet.
- FIT PROFILE: Low volume / Low profile (Volume refers to the amount of space the insole will take up in your shoe. Profile is how much shape you can expect to feel under your foot)
- STABILIZER CAP: the reinforced rearfoot of the cap provides structure and support for our most flexible, low-volume insole
- HEEL CUP: features the most accommodating heel cup and can help stabilize and support the foot
- SUPERFEET SHAPE: the flexible, low-profile shape helps stabilize and support the foot, which can help reduce stress on feet, ankles and knees
- HIGH-DENSITY FOAM LAYER: closed-cell foam supports and cushions the foot for long-lasting comfort
3. Powerstep Pinnacle Orthotic Shoe Insoles
Pinnacle brings us an insole suitable for both men’s and ladies’ dress shoes. They have a heel cradle, support for neutral low or high arches and cushioning throughout. An antimicrobial top fabric keeps feet fresh and odor free.
- Maximum cushioning: A durable EVA foam base and plush top layer, paired with our variable Cushioning Technology, provide a dual layer of targeted and controlled cushioning, enhancing comfort in your shoes
- Semi-rigid arch support: firm yet flexible arch support and deep heel cradle increase foot support and stability – providing greater motion control while walking or running
- top fabric: heat and friction reducing fabric helps feet stay cool, dry, and odor-free during strenuous activity – keeping your feet comfortable, healthier, and blister-free
- Foot pain prevention and relief: these shoe insoles are the ideal orthotic for pain associated with plantar fasciitis, mild to moderate pronation, metatarsal pain, heel and arch discomfort, flat feet, sore and tired feet, and other common foot conditions
- Versatile insole: supports all arch types – low, neutral, and high arches. The insole also fits a variety of shoe types with removable insoles – athletic, casual, dress, and work shoes or boots. Contoured neutral arch support
4. Samurai Insoles
Put the bounce back in your step with these cushioned insoles from Samurai. Designed by a podiatrist, they are flexible and supportive in all the right places. Slim and lightweight, they will fit any type of dress shoes.
- Lighting fast plantar fasciitis relief and more! Simply replace your shoes’ factory insoles with our Original Samurai Insoles for relief from many common foot and leg symptoms, including shin splints.
- Designed by a leading podiatrist to address the root cause of plantar fasciitis, shins splints, neuromas, tendonitis, flat feet and many other common foot issues.
- Samurai Insoles have a supportive, yet comfortably flexible, orthotic core built right inside so you get the support you need without sacrificing your comfort. Most other plantar fasciitis insoles are simply an expensive cushion with little support.
- Podiatrist designed, state-of-the-art orthotic laboratory made, right here in the USA.
- Relief 100% guaranteed or your money back!
5. Pedag Holiday Insoles
Made from tanned leather, these three-quarter insoles are low profile and good for any dress shoes. They provide support and cushioning at the heel to absorb shock on your feet as you walk.
- At last you can wear your dress shoes without suffering. The pedag Holiday three quarter inserts are designed specifically with special occasion footwear in mind. They are thin enough to fit into slip-ons, flats, or stylish peep toes, all while still providing support to your whole foot. Ideal for occasions where you find yourself standing for long periods of time, such as Easter socials or large Thanksgiving banquets.
- Holiday inserts are made from vegetable-tanned leather, with a water based adhesive which helps it to stay in place as you take them on and off. It also helps to resist dislodging due to sweat. The surface is smooth, but the natural leather should help keep your foot from sliding around.
- The Holiday inserts are designed to support you from the heel through the ball of the foot. It helps relieve burning and aching, spreading throughout the metatarsal, and even bunions. Feet afflicted with conditions such as Morton's neuroma, sesamoiditis, poor toe alignment, metatarsalgia, plantar fasciitis, general heel pain, flat feet, pes cavus, pes planus, pronation, supination, or Freiberg disease may benefit from regular use of Holiday insoles.
- These insoles are designed to fit shoes from US sizes Women's 5 through Men's 15 (EU 35 - 48). You should pick the size that corresponds closest to your shoe. If you are a half size above the higher number, pick the next size insert up (e.g. size 6.5 should purchase the Women's 7 size). Holiday is available in either tan or black sets.
- Insole pads are clearly marked as for the left or right shoe. You can purchase a single pair or pack of two pairs. Make sure to insert them correctly into your peep-toes in order to reduce them being seen. Handmade in Germany, using all natural materials. Upper portion is 100% leather.
Also read our buying guide for the best insoles for converse here.
Dress Shoe Inserts Reviews ( For Men & Women )
Low profile insoles can help return comfort to your feet when wearing your dress shoes. Here are our top five picks.
1. Superfeet Easyfit Men’s Dress Shoe Comfort Orthotic Inserts
Superfeet is an employee-owned company that has been producing quality insoles for over 40 years.
These three-quarter length insoles for men’s dress shoes are designed to give support from the heel through to the arch of the foot. They are shaped to provide natural support and absorb impact on the feet.
Available in men’s sizes small through to extra large, they will fit shoes from a size 5.5 through to 15. So, large or small feet, these should have you covered.
The microsuede top is soft and plush and won’t look out of place when you take your shoes off. No neon green insoles lighting the way. Beneath this is a high-density foam for comfort.
The heel cup and stabilizer cap hold your foot in a stable position. There are ridges under the insole which keep it in place. These features combine to help reduce pain in the feet and ankles, making your dress shoes more comfortable.
Giving you an intermediate level of support, these insoles are mid-profile. An odor control coating, which is all natural and organic, keeps feet fresh.
On the downside, the medium profile of these insoles can take up a little more room in your shoes than you would like. They are also quite solid and the three-quarter length might take a bit of getting used to.
This video from Superfeet shows you how to correctly size your insole.
- Good range of sizes.
- Plush upper fabric.
- Organic odor control.
- Three-quarter length helps if the toes of your shoes are already close-fitting.
- The medium profile might take up too much room in tight-fitting shoes.
- Can be prone to slide until you get it in the right position.
|Made by a company with many years of experience, these insoles give support to your heels and arches. The suede style uppers won’t look out of place in your dress shoes.|
2. Superfeet Premium Insoles
Superfeet brings us this full-length insole. Suitable for men’s and women’s dress shoes, it comes in six different sizes, lettered from B through to G. The foot sizes covered range from a 4.5 to 12.5+ for women and a 5.5 to 15 for men. The size B is even suitable for junior sizes 2.5 to 4.
It’s low profile, meaning it’s thin and won’t take up too much extra space in your dress shoes. The heel through to the arch is quite rigid but the ball of the foot and toe area is flexible.
The insole has been designed to help relieve stress on your knees and ankles, as well as your feet. It has a rigid heel cup to give stability, a stabilizer cap for support and a close-celled foam layer for cushioning.
The black fabric top layer is coated with a natural odor control to help prevent the build-up of bacteria that cause smelly feet.
If you are used to soft gel insoles, these might take a bit of getting used to. They might also be a bit on the narrow side if you have very wide feet.
This video gives you a review of these Superfeet insoles.
- A range of sizes for men and women.
- Heel and arch support.
- Closed-cell foam cushioning.
- Arch support might not suit everyone.
|This low profile full-length insole is a good fit for dress shoes. With support, cushioning and odor control, they keep feet comfortable and fresh.|
3. Powerstep Pinnacle Orthotic Shoe Insoles
Powerstep was founded over 25 years ago by a podiatrist who recognized the need for a ready-to-wear insole. These are often cheaper and more convenient than custom-made orthotics and suit many feet.
The Pinnacle is a full-length insole, with sizes available for both men and women. The range is from 3 to 16+ for men and 5 to 15.5 for women. This selection means there should be an ideal fit for most people.
They are designed to alleviate some of the pain associated with common foot conditions, such as heel and arch pain, plantar fasciitis and pronation. They can easily be moved between different shoe types.
They have partially rigid support at the arch and heel cradle. Powersteps variable cushioning technology targets areas that need support. The base has two cushion layers and an EVA foam base.
Covering the length of the shoe enables your feet to benefit from full contact with the insole. The anti-microbial fabric that forms the top of these insoles keeps bacteria at bay, preventing foot odor.
While these insoles might provide the support and stability you need, they could need replacing every few months with everyday wear. The arch support can also be a little harsh at first, until you get used to it.
This video provides a review of the technical details of this insole.
- Extensive size range.
- Anti-microbial fabric uppers.
- Full length cushioning.
- Fabric uppers can wear out in a few months.
|A thin but cushioned insole that is ready to wear and available in many sizes. Rigid support at the heel and arch provides stability for your feet, helping alleviate pain and fatigue.|
4. Samurai Insoles
Time to get in touch with your inner Ninja and be light on your feet with these insoles from Samurai. Designed by podiatrist Dr. Thomas Lembo, they aim to tackle tired and flat feet at the source.
The original Samurai are thin insoles for dress shoes. They are very lightweight and have a springy inner core. Providing support where it’s needed the most, they give a good fit and lots of comfort.
Available for men and women, they come in sizes that should fit your shoes with no need to trim to size. Choose from women’s 4 through to 13.5, and men’s 5 to 16.5.
While these are designed for people whose feet are flat, they have sufficient arch support for other types of arches as well. The orthotic insert is embedded in the center of this flexible insole.
Samurai is so confident in the product that the company offers a no-risk 60-day guarantee, will pay for you to ship them back, and refund your money if you aren’t satisfied.
If you are looking for an insole with a lot of arch support, these might not be the choice for you.
This video explains their benefits and concept.
- Available in sizes that don’t need to be trimmed to fit.
- Thin and low profile.
- Money back guarantees with return shipping paid.
- The red color might bleed.
- Could have more cushioning at the ball of the foot.
|Podiatrist-designed, these insoles are thin, making them a good choice for dress shoes which are close fitting. They provide lightweight support and cushioning and have a risk-free trial period.|
5. Pedag Holiday Insoles
This insole is designed with comfort in mind. It’s suitable for any type of dress shoes, from men’s flats to women’s heels, and even open toes. You can pop it in your favorite Manolo’s or Jimmy Choos.
At just 0.15 inches, this three-quarter length insole is thin, meaning it won’t alter the fit of your shoes. It finishes just after the arch of the foot, leaving your toes free to be displayed in all their glory, even in sandals.
It is made from naturally tanned leather and has a seal of acceptance from the American Podiatric Medical Association. This insole is neutral beige in color, but for you ladies that like to match your insoles to your shoes, it is also available in black.
A soft pad cushions your heel, while the semi-rigidity of the footbed supports your foot. The natural material allows your feet to breathe while keeping both your shoes and feet fresh. There is an adhesive pad on the bottom to hold the insole in place.
It’s available in 14 sizes, from women’s size 5 through to men’s size 15. If you happen to be a half size, the company recommends you size up to the next full size. That being said, these insoles do seem to run on the small side, so sizing up might be a good idea in any event.
If you want an insole with a lot of arch support, these might not be suitable.
This video from Pedag explains the benefits of having one of their insoles in your shoes.
- Available in 14 sizes and two colors.
- Good for all men’s and women’s dress shoes.
- Made from natural leather.
- Sizes might not run true.
|These three-quarter length insoles are thin and lightweight with cushioned heel and arch support. Suitable for any men’s or ladies’ dress shoes or sandals, they can easily be moved from one pair to another.|
Why Would I Need Insoles in My Dress Shoes?
Dress shoes can be a challenge to your feet, especially if you have to wear them all day. The soles are generally thinner than you would find in say sneakers or boots, and often a lot less flexible. Here we will look at some of the issues you could have with your feet when wearing dress shoes and how insoles can help.
This is inflammation of tendons and tissues located in the bottom part of your foot. It runs the length of your foot, but the pain is generally felt in the heel area.
One of the causes of this painful condition is poor fitting shoes. If you have insufficient support for your feet in your dress shoes, you can correct this by inserting an insole to correct your arch position and stabilize your heel.
Choosing an insole which has some heel lift can relieve the pressure that your dress shoes are causing. This means your shoes will be more comfortable, especially if you are wearing them at work all day.
This is another painful condition which affects the heel of your foot. If shoes rub or cut into your heels they can cause the skin at the back of your heel to thicken and become red. You might get a bump that that feels tender and hot when you touch it.
Wearing an insole that encompasses your heel, giving it support and preventing your shoe rubbing, can help.
It’s also a good idea to make sure you have sufficient arch support. Choose insoles appropriate to your arch type, whether that is flat or high. Medium arches can also benefit from an insole with support.
This is an affliction that tends to affect women more as a result of wearing dress shoes. Let’s be honest, those high heels can be hard to resist.
To give it its medical name, Hallux Valgus, it is essentially a deformity in the toe region. Insoles which cushion the forefoot can help prevent this painful condition forming.
We are back to those vertiginous heels again. While they look good, they put undue pressure on the ball of your foot, where the long bones, or metatarsals, meet the bones in your toes. This pressure can cause the nerves or bones in that area to become painful and inflamed.
Insoles can help relieve the pressure and weight bearing in that area of the foot.
When your foot is not seated in the correct position in your shoes, it can have a knock-on effect. You might be placing stress on your lower back, hips, and legs.
Cushioned insoles that hold your foot where it should be and align it properly can help prevent this from happening.
Shoes which are too big can rub your feet, causing blisters. Using an insole to take up the slack and give a better fit can help alleviate these painful sores from forming.
What Features Should You Look for in Dress Shoe Inserts?
Dress shoes generally require an insole that will support your foot without taking up too much room. Here are some of the things you should consider when buying your inserts for any dress shoes:
- Arch support: Choose some support for your arches depending on the type of arch you have. Some are quite universal and will suit any type of arch while others will be more specialized. This video from the Insole Store shows you how to check for your arch type.
- Heel lift: This will help support your heel and help stabilize your foot in the shoe. It will help with heel pain and Achilles tendonitis.
- Cushioning: Dress shoes often have thinner leather soles. Some cushioning in the insole will give your feet more comfort and help absorb shock when walking or standing.
- Thickness: While a thick insole might give more cushioning, it will also take up more room in your shoes and could make them too tight. A thinner insole is generally a better choice for dress shoes that already fit well. Consider a three-quarter length one that won’t cramp your toes.
- Odor control: Dress shoes tend to completely enclose your foot and, like it or not, our feet sweat. Choosing an insole which has some odor control will help prevent your feet from being the instigators of nasty smelling shoes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Size Insoles Should I Buy?
Insoles should fit your shoes and your feet, so order according to your shoe size. You can stand on the insole and make sure it encompasses all your foot. You don’t want your toes hanging over the edge or your heel not being enclosed.
How Long Can I Expect My Insoles to Last?
This depends on how often you wear your dress shoes. If it’s only occasionally then they should last a long time. With everyday wear, they can last anywhere from three months upwards.
How Do I Clean My Insoles?
Insoles should be cleaned with mild soap and water. Use a scrubbing brush in circular motions to remove the dirt, stains, and debris. Be careful not to soak the insoles, and leave them to air dry afterward. You can read our complete guide to cleaning insoles here.
Should I Buy Three-Quarter or Full-Length Insoles?
Three-quarter length insoles are a good choice for dress shoes. They give support to the heel and the arch without taking up room in the toes. That being said, if you want more cushioning for the whole foot, then a full-length insole might suit you better.
Are Insoles for Women’s Dress Shoes Different from Men’s?
In general, an insole for a woman’s dress shoe will be designed to fit the slimmer width and heel of a woman’s foot. While you can get some insoles which can be trimmed to size, one specifically designed for ladies’ shoes will be better.
Do I Need to Remove the Factory Insoles?
This depends on the fit of your shoes once you place your new insoles in them. If they are comfortable and you don’t feel any pinching or heel slip, then it’s a no. However, if the shoes become too tight, then removing the factory insert might help.
Winding It Up
Dress shoes often have leather uppers and soles which can be less forgiving on your feet. They can be more rigid and not as comfortable as other shoes in your wardrobe.
An insole can help cushion and support your foot in the right places. This could let you wear these classic shoes all day without your feet hurting or becoming fatigued.
Our choice to help meet these needs would be the Pinnacle from Powerstep. With a huge range of sizes for men and women, this thin insole is a good choice for dress shoes.
We hope you enjoyed our guide to the best insoles for dress shoes and gained some useful information. We would love to hear your insights and experiences. Please leave us a comment and don’t forget to share.