Although you can’t actually see heel spurs without the use of an X-ray machine, you will definitely feel the intense pain which often makes even standing unbearable.
In this article, we will look at what heel spurs are, what causes them, and what you can do to relieve the pain. Just like many other foot pain issues, there are orthotics and insoles that can help. Below we review five of the best insoles for heel spurs on the market.
Our Top 5 Picks of the best shoe inserts for heel spurs
1. Samurai Insoles Instant Relief Orthotics for Flat Feet
Samurai insoles are proudly made in the USA and designed by podiatrists to enable people with flat feet to walk more comfortably. They are especially suited to people with plantar fasciitis or heel spurs with a raised heel bed to cushion the heels and hold your feet in place.
- Fast foot pain relief shoe inserts for work and play! Simply replace your shoe insoles with Original Samurai Insoles orthotic inserts for heel pain relief, achilles tendonitis relief, and more
- Address the root cause of plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, heel pain and other common types of foot pain. Most other plantar fasciitis sole inserts are just a cushioned insole with no support.
- Our shoe insert turns nearly any shoe with a removable shoe insole into a lean, mean, comfort machine in under 10 seconds. Compare The Original Samurai to other heel spur relief products or orthotics
- Podiatrist designed arch supports that are state-of-the-art orthotic laboratory made, right here in the USA. The perfect full length shoe inserts for standing all day with an orthotic built right in.
- Original Samurai arch support insoles are 100% Guaranteed to provide relief or your money back! They are the perfect foot health insoles for standing all day or enjoying the things you love to do!
2. Nazroo Orthotic Insoles
Nazroo orthotic insoles use a multi-layer foam to alleviate the pain of heel spurs and also support the arch of your foot. A cupped heel area on these insoles cradles your heel while easing the pain and providing support.
- ★ FlAT FEET: Our firm and medical grade Orthotic Inserts are designed to gently alleviate many common foot pain, arch pain, heel pain, ankle pain, Plantar Fasciitis and Over Pronation, etc.
- ★ PREMIUM MATERIALS: Durable EVA foam base and multi-layer cushion provide long-lasting support and comfort while walking, running and hiking. Upgraded breathable fabric keeps your feel comfortable
- ★ FUNTIONAL INSERTS: ARCH SUPPORT distribute and minimize pressure in the foot. Deep heel cradle keep the foot bone vertical to enhance stability. Built-in silicon cushioned heel support is excellent for shock absorption and pain relief.
- ★ FIT MOST FOOTWEAR: Fit for many types shoes of men and women, such as running shoes, work boots, sneakers, street shoes, slipper, flats, and so on.
- ★ 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: Your satisfaction is our priority. If you are not satisfied with our insoles or they can’t meet your expectation to relieve feet pain, we'll refund you the full price *No Questions Asked*. You can contact us at anytime if you have any problem.
3. ViveSole Plantar Fasciitis Insoles
These shoe inserts aim to counteract the impact and forces which can induce plantar fasciitis or the painful heel spurs on your foot. Additional shock absorption pads on the heel and forefoot protect your feet from pain and fatigue.
- P𝗣𝗢𝗗𝗜𝗔𝗧𝗥𝗜𝗦𝗧 𝗗𝗘𝗦𝗜𝗚𝗡𝗘𝗗: Effectively supporting the natural shape of your foot, the ViveSole Plantar Series biomechanical design relieves foot pain and eliminates painful pressure points, stress and fatigue. The full-length orthotic insoles effectively stabilize the foot to relieve heel and metatarsal pain caused by flat feet and overpronation.
- 𝗣𝗟𝗔𝗡𝗧𝗔𝗥 𝗙𝗔𝗦𝗖𝗜𝗜𝗧𝗜𝗦 𝗥𝗘𝗟𝗜𝗘𝗙: Specifically designed to relieve plantar fasciitis pain, the orthotic shoe inserts comfortably support the foot arch while providing shock absorbing cushioning at the heel and forefoot.
- 𝗦𝗛𝗢𝗖𝗞 𝗔𝗕𝗦𝗢𝗥𝗕𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗖𝗨𝗦𝗛𝗜𝗢𝗡𝗦: Absorbing the impact of each step, the orthotic shoe inserts include additional cushioning on the forefoot and heel to minimize stress and fatigue. Comfortably padded the foot arch inserts are also helpful in alleviating knee, hip and back pain.
- 𝗟𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧 𝗗𝗘𝗦𝗜𝗚𝗡: Constructed with a lightweight foam, the durable insoles retain their shape without flattening for extended wearability and are washable. Each insole is lined with a soft, breathable material.
- 𝟲𝟬 𝗗𝗔𝗬 𝗪𝗔𝗥𝗥𝗔𝗡𝗧𝗬: 60 Day Unconditional Vive Guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
4. Birkenstock Blue Footbed Arch Support Casual Insoles
These cork insoles from Birkenstock mean you can experience the same “Birkie” feeling while wearing other types of shoes. The cork insoles cushion your heels from heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, and impact as you walk while adapting to the arch of your foot.
- Anatomical footbed shape
- Excellent heel stabilization
- For modern business, leisure, and sports shoes without a heel
5. Envelop Gel Insoles
Honeycomb-shaped inserts around the heel and forefoot in these lightweight insoles are filled with a gel that absorbs impact while offering support. A textured base eliminates any slipping, while the massaging gel relieves pain and pressure caused by foot spurs.
- GEL INSOLES FOR ALL-DAY COMFORT: Providing cushioned support for the heel and forefoot, the unique honeycomb design that reduces painful pressure points by absorbing the impact of each step. A contoured layer of firmer gel cradles the heel and gently supports the arch to provide additional stability. The full-length insoles relieve heel pain, arch pain, plantar fasciitis pain and reduces foot fatigue.
- HONEYCOMB DESIGN FOR SHOCK ABSORPTION: Unique honeycomb inserts in the heel and forefoot effectively absorb the impact of each step to reduce stress and fatigue. Ergonomically designed to contour to the foot with a neutral arch to provide support for any type of foot arch.
- VERSATILE FIT FULL-LENGTH INSOLE: Easily worn with most shoe styles, the versatile gel inserts can be trimmed for a customized fit. The full-length insoles have a textured base to grip the inside of your shoe, eliminating slipping for greater stability and comfort. Also relieving pain and pressure caused by spurs, corns, and neuroma, the massaging gel insoles are perfect for individuals who are on their feet all day.
- LIGHTWEIGHT CONSTRUCTION: Constructed with a lightweight silicone gel, the durable insoles are resilient, retaining their shape without flattening for extensive wearability.
- VIVE GUARANTEE: 60 day unconditional guarantee. Size: Large (Men's 8 - 13) (Women's 10.5 and Under)
The Best Heel Spurs Inserts Reviews
Heel spurs will eventually go away in most cases over time if you rest your feet. If a heel spur doesn’t leave you after an extended period of time, you should seek the advice of a medical practitioner.
However, if you have a demanding job which requires you to stand on your feet all day, or you just can’t give your foot the rest it needs, orthotic insoles can be an ideal interim solution.
Although you can get heel cups for heel spurs, in the below heel spur inserts reviews we have focused on full-length orthotic inserts.
With so many insoles offering support to your heels, how do you know which will offer enough to prevent the pain of heel spurs? Below we have reviewed five of the best insoles for heel pain, just remember to choose one which is appropriate for your arch type too.
1. Samurai Insoles Instant Orthotic Relief for Flat Feet
Samurai insoles proudly boast they were designed by a “dream team” of leading podiatrists to address the pain of plantar fasciitis and heel spurs for users with flat feet. The foam construction means these heel spur insoles can adapt to your feet and also work for those with medium and neutral arches as well.
What we really like about these insoles is the raised heel bed which will cushion your heels more and prevent the pain of heel spurs. The heel cup will also keep your feet in place and prevent them from slipping around in your shoes.
Pronation can be an issue for people with flat feet which these insoles can help to prevent further heel pain. Unlike many other commercial orthotic insoles, these are precisely manufactured to your shoe size rather than just a couple which may need trimming down.
- Medical grade orthotic inserts designed by leading podiatrists in the US.
- Low profile and lightweight—will fit almost any shoe.
- Biomechanically designed arch and heel support are hidden in the insole.
- Wide choice of sizes for both men and women’s feet.
- Raised heel bed adds cushioning to prevent heel pain.
- Can also help correct the pronation of flat feet.
- Springy molded inner core.
- Minimal arch support and only really suited for flat feet.
- The top anti-microbial fabric can become unattached with continuous use.
- Too thin for heavy or larger users.
|Samurai have designed this insole with the aid of leading US podiatrists—who knows American feet better than our own experts? The raised heel beds of these soles add cushioning which helps avoid all heel pain.|
2. Nazroo Orthotic Insoles
The Nazroo orthotic insoles are another medical grade shoe insert that caters for heel pain in people with flat feet. These foam insoles are available in a wide range of sizes for both men and women with high-tech composite materials which keep your feet dry by sucking up sweat.
Functional inserts offer arch support to distribute and minimize the pressure across the foot. A deep heel cradle keeps the foot bone vertical with latex cushioning pads built in for more shock absorption.
Where these insoles really impress is the comfort they offer to your heels while keeping your feet cool and dry all day. Unfortunately, some customers may find them a little too thick and bulky to fit into their shoes easily.
- All day comfort with a breathable and anti-sweat top layer.
- A resilient 5 mm polyurethane foam top cover puts more spring in your step.
- Latex cushioning pad inserts for less heel pain.
- A deep heel cup keeps the foot bone aligned and helps support the foot in high-impact activities.
- Arch support helps stabilize the foot.
- Can also help to correct overpronation and many other foot complaints.
- The foam is too rigid for some customers with very little flexibility.
- Thick and bulky—will struggle to fit in more low profile shoes or sneakers.
|Latex cushioning pads around the heel cup of these orthotic insoles from Nazroo offer more shock absorption around the heel for less pain. The moisture absorbing top layer can help keep your feet cool and dry all day for less irritation.|
3. ViveSole Plantar Fasciitis Insoles
ViveSole plantar fasciitis insoles have been podiatrist-designed to support the natural shape of your foot. This will relieve heel and foot pain by eliminating painful pressure. A full-length orthotic insert, it effectively stabilizes the foot to relieve both heel and metatarsal pain caused by over-pronation and flat feet.
Especially for plantar fasciitis and heel spurs, these insoles feature shock-absorbing cushions under both the heel and the forefoot. The biomechanical design eliminates the painful pressure points of your feet which can lead to heel pain.
Made with a lightweight composite material, these durable insoles won’t flatten with excessive use. The top layer uses a breathable material that eliminates odors. For extra versatility, the Plantar range of insoles can be trimmed down for a custom fit and are easy to remove with them also being machine washable too.
- Podiatrist-designed to counteract forces that can induce pain from heel spurs.
- Prevent your entire foot from feeling fatigued with comfortable padding.
- Additional heel cushion to absorb the impact as you walk.
- Lightweight and versatile enough to fit any shoe—can be trimmed for a custom fit.
- Arch support can be too high for some users with severe flat feet.
- Pads on the heel may need reapplying with some stronger glue—they have been known to slip.
|Designed to prevent the impact which can make heel spurs or plantar fasciitis even more painful, these ViveSoles can also correct other foot issues like overpronation or fallen arches. Lightweight enough to be worn in any shoe, even running shoes, these are the ideal insoles for users with heel spurs who are more athletic.|
4. Birkenstock Unisex Blue Footbed Arch Support Casual Insoles
Anybody who has ever owned a pair of Birkenstock sandals will tell you just how comfortable and supportive they can be. The cork insoles literally mold to your foot shape while providing a deep heel cup for more protection and stability too. Unfortunately, you can’t always wear sandals to work or on long walks.
These cork insoles offer the same feel as the sandals and have been engineered to cushion the heel from heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, and many other complaints. Cork is a natural adaptive material which protects your foot as it molds to the exact shape of your arches and heel.
Constructed from entirely natural materials, these insoles will protect your heel by evenly distributing the pressure away from the heel area. A low impact metatarsal support is also good for people who suffer pain in the ball area. Cork is also 100 percent hypoallergenic and keeps your feet dry and fresh all day with its natural breathability.
- Extremely comfortable cork insole which adapts to your foot shape.
- Lightweight with high sides and deep heel cup.
- Redistributes pressure to avoid heel pain.
- Cushions the heel from plantar fasciitis and heel spurs.
- EVA underside of the insole provides shock absorption.
- Silk liner absorbs moisture.
- Very rigid and offers little flexibility.
- Sizes run large and not possible to trim—may not fit all shoe types.
|If you love your “Birkies” as much as we do, you’ll also love these Birkenstock orthotic insoles. Using the same cork material which molds to your foot and heel, the deeper heel cup can relieve the pressure and pain of heel spurs and other heel issues.|
5. Envelop Gel Insoles—Full Length Orthotics for Men and Women
These gel insoles from Envelop provide relief from heel spurs and other heel pain with a honeycomb insert filled with silicone gel around the heel. The gel absorbs impact while also providing support to your foot in the heel and arch area.
The Envelop insoles have been ergonomically designed to have a contour for neutral arches and can provide support for any arch type. Available in two sizes, these full-length orthotics can be trimmed down for a custom fit to any shoe.
Made with a lightweight gel that massages your feet for all-day comfort, an extra layer of firmer gel cradles your heel while providing more shock absorption at the heel and arch. The durable insoles are resilient, won’t flatten with extensive use, and can even be washed without losing their shape too.
- Comfortable with a lightweight yet durable gel.
- An extra layer of firm gel around the heel relieves the pressure and pain of heel spurs.
- Neutral arch contour means they are suitable for most feet.
- Lightweight breathable material with a textured base to grip the insides of your shoes.
- The massaging gel can be therapeutic when worn all day.
- Washable and won’t lose their shape.
- A different cushioning feel to foam which many users find less comfortable.
- Only two sizes are available to choose from.
- The trimming guide can be inaccurate.
|Gel insoles can take some getting used to, with a very different feel to anything you may have tried before. A unique honeycomb insert design uses a firmer gel in these Envelop insoles around the heel to help redistribute the pressures and impacts which can make your heel spurs so painful.|
What Are Heel Spurs?
A heel spur is a small bony protrusion which is found on the underside of your heel bone. They usually start to grow on the front of your heel bone and extend outwards towards your arch of the foot. Also known as “calcaneal spurs,” heel spurs are made of calcium deposits and can grow undetected for months and even years in some cases.
As the pointed or hooked calcium deposits grow, they can begin to prod the soft fatty tissues of your heel, resulting in an uncomfortable stabbing sensation and excruciating heel pain. When you walk on a heel spur, it jabs the foot even more as it presses in hard, which is why it can be so incredibly painful.
This short YouTube video explains the three major causes of heel pain including heel spurs.
What Causes a Heel Spur?
Plantar fasciitis is, without a doubt, the largest cause of heel spurs, with the latest research finding heel spurs are present in 80 percent of patients with plantar fasciitis. Some doctors believe heel spurs are the body’s natural way to protect the plantar fascia and other foot tissue from strain and damage.
Other risk factors can include age, gender, the gait of your walk, your weight, and other medical issues like diabetes. Studies have shown men and women aged over 40 are more at risk of heel spurs, while other research has pointed to the higher prevalence of heel spurs in women too.
Anything that places more stress or strain on your arch and heel area like an incorrect gait or being overweight may prompt the development of heel spurs. Flat feet or high arches are other foot issues that can make it more likely you will suffer foot spurs.
Wearing an incorrect shoe type without support can cause yet more strain and damage which your foot will try to correct with these painful deposits.
What to Look for in the Best Insoles for Heel Spurs
It’s all about the protection and cushioning of your heel. The best insoles for heel pain should feature a raised or padded heel cup which protects your heel from extra impact or pressure. Some may feature a deep heel cup which is fine as long as there is enough cushioning between the heel and the ground.
Foot contouring insoles that aim to help plantar fasciitis or tired feet can also help with your heel spurs. An orthotic insert which molds to the exact shape of your foot is best for alleviating the pain of plantar fasciitis or heel spurs. Memory foam, cork, leather, and cedarwood are all materials that can take on the shape of your foot.
Shock pads in the heel area can redistribute the impact of walking away from your heels and those painful spurs. For the most impact absorption and comfort, it’s important that you choose an insole which caters for your arch type. Flat arches will need a flat insole, while a medium arch will need more of a neutral contour.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below we have attempted to answer three of the more commonly asked questions about heel spurs. If you have any further questions, then feel free to comment below for us to get back to you.
How Do I Know If I Have a Heel Spur?
As we said earlier, these calcium deposits on your heel bone can grow undetected for years—it’s only when they start causing pain and discomfort as you walk you may be diagnosed.
Most doctors will be quite comfortable diagnosing heel spurs by that incessant stabbing pain in your foot. However, they will only show up on an x-ray and can often be discovered by accident when looking at another foot issue. Some people may have heel spurs for years without feeling any pain.
Are There Any Home Treatments I Can Perform?
Here’s the good news: about 90 percent of people with heel spurs get better without any surgical intervention, according to the Cleveland Clinic. Usually, a heel spur will disappear with time if you rest your foot. In the meantime, many of the home treatments for plantar fasciitis can help, including:
- Arnica gel— a cooling gel, Arnica is known for its ability to reduce swelling and inflammation. It can also block the pain receptors too.
- Gentle foot stretches can help blood circulate to the painful area and help the body to remove by-products from the heel more quickly.
- Heel spur insoles and custom orthotics, especially if you have a job which means standing or walking all day.
Is a Heel Spur Different to Achilles Tendonitis?
Although commonly mistaken for plantar fasciitis or Achilles tendonitis, a heel spur can develop from the wear and tear of the Achilles tendon but is not directly related to tendonitis. They are similar conditions: in the same way, the plantar fascia when strained or stretched can cause heel spurs, but tendonitis is in a different area.
Shoe inserts for heel spurs can definitely help with the painful stabbing experience you may be feeling in your heels with a heel spur. Just ensure you choose the right insole for your foot type as well as one which supports and cushions the heel.
In our opinion, the raised heel cup and supportive foam of the Samurai Orthotic Insoles for Plantar Fasciitis are the best insoles for heel spurs and they’re made in the USA too. If we want someone to cater to the needs of our feet, we can’t think of anyone better than our own leading podiatrists.