Recent CDC statistics report that 26 percent of all nonfatal work injuries which result in days away from work could be attributed to slips, trips, and falls. If you have ever suffered a bad slip at work, you will know just how painful they can be.
Stop yourself becoming yet another occupational hazard statistic with our guide to the best non slip work shoes. Most employers, certainly in work environments like busy factories, hospitals, and restaurants or bars, now demand you wear non-slip certified shoes. But can you get a pair which also offers comfort too?
Our Top 6 Picks of the best non slip work shoes for men & women
1. Skechers Work Women’s Sure Track – Trickel
Made with a smooth solid leather upper and memory foam footbed, these slip-resistant work shoes for women are some of the most advanced on the market today. A lace-up design ensures a customizable and comfortable fit with a nitrile rubber sole that has been tested to grip to all surfaces, even when wet or oily.
- Memory foam insole
- Soft fabric shoe lining. Padded collar and tongue
2. Skechers Women’s Ghenter Bronaugh Lace-Up Work Shoes
These non-slip work shoes for women from Skechers differ with a mesh fabric upper which offers more breathability for your feet when constantly moving about. A soft fabric lining offers extra comfort, with a memory foam footbed for cushioning and a flexible rubber slip resistant sole for excellent traction.
3. Skechers Work Men’s Flex Advantage Mcallen Slip Resistant Slip On
The Slip Resistant Mcallen slip-on is a smart casual shoe for men which features a fabric mesh upper with side gores to ensure the shoe remains on your foot. A nitrile rubber sole has been tested to Mark II standards for traction and is completely slip resistant.
- Slip-on shoe work shoe featuring mesh fabric upper and slip-resistant traction outsole
- Elastic side gores at opening
- Padded collar and reinforced stitched seams. Memory foam insole for cushioning
- For medium fit it maintains medium width in the heel with a roomier toe box. For medium fit it is a bit more open interior offers a looser fit around the entire foot
- Soft fabric shoe lining. 1 1/4 inch built in heel
4. Fila Men’s Memory Workshift Slip Resistant Work Shoe
Constructed with durable synthetic and leather overlays, Fila work shoes have been designed to withstand the toughest of occupational needs. A lightweight memory foam sock liner and midsole ensure more comfort as you work. The solid rubber outsole has also been tested to provide slip resistance on slippery floors.
- SOLID PERFORMANCE: Durable leather and synthetic overlays to meet your occupational needs
- SUPERIOR TRACTION: Solid rubber slip resistant outsole - tested in accordance with the applicable industry standards, including: ASTM F2913-11; though designed to help prevent slips, you should always exercise caution on slick surfaces
- ALL DAY COMFORT: Memory foam sockliner and midsole for additional comfort
- RELAXED STYLING: Perforations for breathability and a lace up front closure for relaxed fit
5. Emeril Lagasse Women’s Canal Canvas Slip-Resistant Work Shoe
From culinary icon Emeril Lagasse, these casual work sneakers for women are designed with safety and comfort in mind. A green rubber outsole is oil and slip resistant, with a groove pattern providing better traction on wet and greasy surfaces.
- Oil & Slip Resistant: outsole provides superior traction on wet and greasy surfaces
- B.A.M. (Balance Active Movement) Memory Foam Insole: provides 24 hour comfort
- Comfort Midsole: molded EVA midsole provides maximum support
- Water & Stain Resistant: NeverWet system repels liquids and food
- Odor Resistant Lining: Agion treated breathable linings reduce odor, keeping the product fresh for an extended time
6. Keen Utility Men’s Atlanta Cool Steel Toe Work Shoe
The ideal heel space and arch support make these a great non slip work shoes for plantar fasciitis. They can help relieve much of the pain while ensuring you stay on your feet too. The “Cool” in the name refers to the cooling breathable leather and fabric mesh at the top of the shoe which sits on top of a special type of rubber sole for better traction.
- Torsional Stability Shank
- Mesh Liner provides breathability to help keep feet cool in warm environment
- Dual density compression molded Eva midsole. Oil and slip resistant
- Left and Right asymmetrical steel toes
Reviews of The Best Non Slip Work Shoes
Choosing the non slip work shoes that are right for your feet and your needs can be difficult at times with so many choices available. You’re going to need a shoe which offers the correct amount of slip resistance for your work environment, something which can offer all-day comfort, and also look stylish too.
Below we have reviewed what we consider to be some of the best non slip work shoes for both men and women.
1. Skechers Work Women’s Sure Track—Trickel
It should come as no surprise that our top pick for the best non slip work shoes comes from Skechers, with three of our top six coming from this leading brand. These non-slip shoes for working women are made with a smooth leather upper and feature a lace-up design.
Skechers slip-resistant soles use an oil resistant nitrile rubber which is tested using ASTM Mark II standards to be efficient even on wet and oily surfaces. A shock absorbing FlexSole midsole technology in the shoe is lightweight and adds durability and cushioning.
Although many shoes promise anti-slip soles, few offer the comfort of Skechers. A memory foam removable inner sole molds to your feet for better all-day support and comfort of most foot types. Side mini-perforated panels keep your feet cool, while a rubber toe cap prevents you from getting injured.
- Durable design with a leather upper.
- Lightweight and slip resistant with a generously lugged rubber outsole.
- Soft cushioning with a padded collar and tongue.
- Memory foam inner sole can be removed if you prefer deeper work shoes or have your own custom orthotics.
- Memory foam adapts to your foot shape for arch support and more cushioning.
- High level of comfort suitable for flat feet, plantar fasciitis, and other foot issues.
- Rubber nitrile soles can be too rigid for some women.
- Not completely waterproof with water often leaking in where the soles and leather upper are “glued”.
|Skechers make some of the most comfortable work shoes available and the non-slip nitrile rubber outsole makes these some of the best slip resistant work shoes too. With a memory foam inner, padded collar, and thick tongue, these lace-ups ensure a comfortable fit for longer working hours. And they look pretty smart while being casual enough to wear after work too.|
2. Skechers Women’s Ghenter Bronaugh Lace-Up Work Shoes
If leather shoes don’t seem to offer enough ventilation for your feet, these mesh fabric topped lace-up work shoes should help keep your feet cool. A smooth synthetic overlay at the laces adds durability with the whole upper featuring a water-resistant Scotchgard protection.
Suitable for wearing in a busy kitchen where spills of grease, water, and other food liquids often happen, a rubber slip resistant sole offers excellent traction. Again, the sole has been tested to meet or exceed a 0.5 coefficient even when used on wet and oily surfaces.
The sole may not be as thick as the nitrile rubber of the Sure-Track shoes, but it is slightly more flexible. All the usual comfort features you expect from Skechers are included like memory foam insoles, a lightweight midsole for shock absorption, and a padded collar and tongue for comfort.
- Rubber slip resistant sole.
- All black design with mesh fabric upper with Scotchgard protection.
- More breathability for the foot.
- Memory foam inners with a padded collar and tongue for comfort.
- Flexible and lightweight midsole for shock absorption.
- Laced design with a heel pull tab and side gore panels make the shoe easy to take on or off.
- Stylish with accented stitching and a side S logo.
- Good arch support from the memory foam but very little ankle support.
- Small tread on the soles means food debris or little stones can easily get stuck in them.
- May not offer enough comfort if working in the front of house and on your feet all shift—memory foam flattens very quickly.
|The Skechers Ghenter Bronaugh work shoes offer the same comfort and memory foam of all other Skechers work shoes. The Scotchgard coating of the mesh fabric upper and slip-resistant soles make these ideal lightweight work shoes for use in a number of different work environments and food services.|
3. Skechers Work Men’s Flex Advantage Mcallen Slip Resistant Slip On Shoe
These top-rated slip resistant work shoes from Skechers for men feature a slip on design, meaning you can take them on or off very easily. A smart casual shoe, they feature a padded collar and an insole made of memory foam so your foot rests comfortably in the shoe during long work days.
The synthetic upper of these stylish work shoes features diamond patterned breathable mesh fabric panels which are both water and stain resistant. The layered durable mesh provides support for the top of your feet with more breathability than other materials like leather.
Full length of the foot cushioning comes from the memory foam, which molds to your foot for support in all the right places. A FlexSole lightweight midsole offers yet more support and absorbs any shocks. Most importantly, the slip-resistant nitrile rubber sole has been tested for grip on oily or wet surfaces and is also an electrical hazard safe design.
- A simple black or black/charcoal style makes them suitable for most workplaces.
- Lightweight and flexible.
- The slip-on design is ideal for older workers or men who may suffer back injuries—no more bending over to tie the laces.
- FlexSole midsole for shock absorption.
- Padded collar and memory foam insole for more comfort at work.
- The nitrile rubber sole is tested to Mark II standards for traction and safe for electrical hazards too.
- The reinforced stitched design ensures the soles don’t come away from the fabric uppers.
- 25-inch heel built in for more heel support.
- Water and stain resistant fabric used for the upper.
- The relaxed fit can be too wide for more narrow feet.
- If used in food environments, small particles like flour can get stuck in the mesh uppers, staining the smart black appearance.
- Fine grooves in the sole can get sand or grit trapped which needs removing grain by grain before walking on polished or wooden floors.
|The Skechers Flex Advantage Mcallen combines quality, safety, and style in these comfortable non slip work shoes for men. A memory foam insole ensures superior comfort and cushioning while a nitrile rubber sole offers the ultimate traction. We really like the mesh fabric durable upper which keeps your foot cool and comfortable while making sure you are steady footed no matter what the surface you work on.|
4. Fila Men’s Memory Workshift Slip Resistant Work Shoe
Fila may be better known for their sportswear, but they now produce high-quality work shoes like the Workshift range of slip resistant shoes. Available for both men and women, you have a choice of black or white designs in a stylish design for both work and play.
A high level of traction is offered by this work shoe with a rubber non slip outsole which has been tested for use to meet industry standards. Fila does, however, warn that you should exercise caution on wet or slick surfaces even though they’re designed to prevent slips.
A leather upper is durable with synthetic overlays that should make this shoe last you for years. A memory foam sock liner and midsole are added for extra comfort with perforations for more breathability in the uppers. The lace-up front design also ensures a more relaxed fit.
- 100 percent leather uppers and synthetic overlays for more durability.
- A thick high traction rubber outsole for better shock absorption and slip resistance.
- All day comfort from memory foam sock liner and midsole.
- Relaxed fit with lace up front closure.
- Extra wide sizes available, all the way up to 4E double width.
- Offers good arch support.
- Perforations allow your feet to breathe more and moisture to escape.
- Available for both men and women in a choice of white or black styles.
- The tread pattern is pretty tight and can pick up a lot of smaller stones and pebbles.
- Not as breathable as full mesh fabric uppers, especially when worn in hot environments like a kitchen.
|With the Memory Workshift Slip Resistant Work Shoes, Fila has produced a quality work shoe at an affordable price. Leather uppers and synthetic mesh overlays make them more durable, with memory foam cushioning in the sock liner and midsole for extra comfort. The rubber soles of the Fila work shoes are slip resistant and thick enough to absorb more of the impact and shock as you work.|
5. Emeril Lagasse Women’s Canal Canvas Slip Resistant Work Shoe
When you’re looking for the best non-slip work shoes that meet the needs of the hospitality industry, who better to ask than a culinary icon like Emeril Lagasse. As the founder of 12 restaurants and the star of popular TV shows like Top Chef, Emeril brings his years of experience in kitchens to the footwear industry.
A groove patterned rubber outsole is oil and slip resistant for better traction on wet and greasy surfaces. A NeverWet breakthrough technology dramatically repels liquids and food. This technology causes the liquid to form a nearly perfect sphere which rolls off the surface of the shoe, keeping them dry and clean.
A classic sneaker look, the Canal Canvas Casual Oxford design features a canvas upper, rubber cap toes, and a padded collar. Balance Active Movement (B.A.M) memory foam provides comfort with molded EVA midsole for maximum support. The lining uses antimicrobial Agion to prevent unpleasant odors of the feet—the last thing you need in a kitchen!
- Designed specifically for the hospitality industry by one of the world’s leading chefs.
- Groove patterned rubber outsole offers superior traction on wet and greasy surfaces like those found in many kitchens and restaurants.
- Water and stain resistant with NeverWet technology—food and liquids literally roll off the shoe.
- Extremely comfortable for long shifts with two layers of molded memory foam insole.
- High energy return EVA midsole for less foot fatigue.
- Agion treated linings prevent the growth of bacteria and keep the shoes fresh and free from odor.
- Attractive with distinctive green bottom soles.
- Toes and sides of the sneaker can show food or drink splashes if not cleaned immediately.
- Runs small with a narrow toe box.
|If you’ve spent hours on your feet, cooking in a kitchen, you’ll know just how hazardous and uncomfortable it can be. The bright green outsoles of these shoes are made from an oil and slip resistant sole with superior traction to prevent those potential slips. The memory foam insoles, antimicrobial treated linings, and the high rebound midsoles ensure your feet remain healthy, less fatigued, and less “cooked” than the food you are preparing.|
6. KEEN Utility Men’s Atlanta Cool Steel Toe Work Shoe – Best for Plantar Fasciitis
Finally, we take a look at a men’s non-slip work shoe which can also protect your feet and help relieve the pain of plantar fasciitis. Left and right asymmetrical steel toes with a contoured heel lock provide additional safety when performing more industrial duties.
A specialized rubber sole is slip and oil resistant for better traction in wet working conditions. An internal support mechanism has been anatomically engineered to provide better arch support and cradle your foot’s natural contours for more stability.
A larger toe box on these slip-resistant work shoes allows your toes to breathe and provides more room for movement and flexing, preventing the shoes pinching. The dual density EVA midsole feature of this shoe provides excellent arch support and better shock absorption ideal for those with plantar fascia pain.
- Oil and slip-resistant rubber sole.
- Asymmetric steel toes in a wider toe box for more protection.
- A contoured heel lock for less pressure and better stability.
- Dual-density compression molded EVA midsole for arch support.
- A removable dual density EVA footbed is anatomically engineered.
- Water resistant nubuck leather upper with breathable mesh panels.
- Hydrophobic mesh lining absorbs moisture and prevents odors.
- Available in extra width sizes.
- Lightweight for steel toe shoes.
- Sizing runs very large and it’s recommended to order at least one size down.
- Lacing system can be fragile and is not easy to repair, resulting in a sloppy fit.
|If you need the best slip resistant work shoes for plantar fasciitis, the arch support and anatomical footbed of the KEEN Atlanta Steel Toe Work Shoes could be ideal. With the oil and slip resistant rubber soles, there’s less chance of adding to the pain by slipping when working in wet conditions.|
Why Do You Need the Slip Resistant Work Shoes?
Although many people would argue you only need non-slip work shoes in more hazardous workplaces, it could just be a recently cleaned floor which causes your slip. Going to work without slip-resistant shoes is like driving your car without a seatbelt or riding a motorcycle without a helmet—why put yourself at that risk?
Ineffective footwear is said to cause 24 percent of industrial slips and falls, with employees not always choosing the correct footwear for their workplace. Whenever a slip or fall happens in the workplace, one of the first things which are examined is the footwear and whether it played a part in the incident.
Unfortunately, whenever you hear non slip shoes are required due to OHSA or health department regulations, it’s simply not true. And neither are employers obligated by law to provide such shoes unless they are part of the uniform as demonstrated by a famous case against Denny’s restaurants.
The non-slip work shoes are your responsibility, but luckily there are guidelines which can help you determine how non slip a shoe is.
How Are Shoes Determined to Be Non Slip?
The outsole of a work shoe is what makes a work shoe non slip, with slip-resistant outsoles tested in the US by accredited third-party labs. These tests will normally examine how well the outsole heel and flat perform on various surfaces including:
- Dry tile.
- A wet tile with water.
- A tile with oil.
- Wet stainless steel with water.
After testing, a rating will be given for each environment with an overall coefficiency rating for the sole. The outsole must meet the required standard to be labeled as slip resistant. Always look for an ASTM (American Society for Testings and Materials) rating such as Mark II (or newer standardizations) with a coefficient factor for wet and oily surfaces.
A slip-resistant outsole will normally use a rubber compound which is traditionally most slip resistant but polyurethane can also highly slip resistant. The lug design of the outsole and its edges can also contribute to the non-slip qualities. Some slip-resistant soles will feature geometric patterns which can help channel the liquids away.
Although surface contact is important, an outsole which is completely flat is not too good for slip resistance. You will need some form of grip with shaped grooves or lugs for more traction. Outsoles with lower lugs though will generally perform better with more of the outsole in contact with the ground.
Other Factors to Consider in the Comfortable Non Slip Work Shoes
Apart from the slip resistance, it is important that non slip work shoes offer comfort and support for your feet. If you are going to be standing on your feet or walking about all day, you will need cushioning and a footbed which prevents your foot from getting fatigued or irritates conditions like plantar fascia or arch issues.
Comfort and Support
Many of the non slip work shoes for work will excel in the comfort they offer. Memory foam insoles and linings can mold to your feet which will also keep them more stable. An EVA footbed can also be soft under the foot while offering enough support with some featuring flexible midsoles for better shock absorption.
Breathability is another factor in the work shoe which can affect how comfortable or tired your feet get. A tired or stressed foot is not just painful, but more likely to slip. Although leather uppers will be more durable, check there are some ventilation perforations or even choose an upper which uses a mesh fabric.
Work shoes will need to be lightweight if they are to be worn for longer periods yet durable enough to withstand the daily hazards of the workplace. The upper of the shoe may either have a soft fabric or leather upper depending on the durability you need. Scotchgard and other chemical coatings can add to the water resistance of the upper.
Many of the work shoes we have looked at will have an all-black design meaning you can wear them in almost any workplace and still look stylish. Although other colors are available, most people will just want the shoe to look professional.
Slip on or slip off can be an important factor—you don’t want the shoe slipping off if you should have a fall. Lace-up shoes will generally give you a better level of protection and a higher level of support for the ankle with a tongue situated higher on the foot.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are the Soles of the Non-Slip Work Shoes Guaranteed NOT to Slip?
No manufacturer offers a 100 percent guarantee their shoes won’t slip— unless you are walking around with spikes in your feet you are always going to be prone to slip on something. Some substances are more slippery than others and wearing non-slip shoes will certainly help prevent a slip, although learning safer working practices can too.
Changing your work environment, practicing safer walking steps, and recognizing hazards before they become a problem can help prevent a slip. The following video looks at safety training from preventing slips and falls in the workplace.
How Should You Clean the Non Slip Work Shoes?
Cleaning the upper of the shoe will depend on what material it has been made from. Many of the shoes we looked at have a coating which makes them both moisture and stain resistant and should just need cleaning with a soft cloth.
The outsoles may feature narrow groove patterns where debris can get stuck. To keep the shoe slip resistant, it is recommended that you check the soles after each shift and remove any such debris. Not only will they affect the comfort of the shoe, but they can also make them less slip resistant.
Using a small toothbrush or soft cloth, you can remove any loose debris first, before mixing a small amount of detergent with water to remove any grease or oil residues. Always rinse and leave to dry before wearing again for greater traction.
How Long Should Slip Resistant Shoes Last?
Depending on the brand and quality, slip-resistant shoes should last many years. Rubber and polyurethane soles are designed to be oil and water resistant, although harsh cleaning chemicals may occasionally cause deterioration over time.
As soon as the soles look worn at the edges or on the flat of the foot, you should aim to replace the non slip shoes for more safety and traction at work. You can get Scotchgard sprays for proofing them against the elements or traction spray for a better grip. In some cases, hairspray will also help repel any unwanted liquids too.
No More Slips
Skechers is one of the world’s best-known brands when you are talking about the best non slip work shoes—it’s no surprise that our top choice is a Skechers shoe. The Skechers Work Women’s Sure Track – Trickel uses nitrile rubber, which is oil and slip resistant for one of the most advanced non-slip work shoes on the market.