When autumn comes around, there are two things most of us look forward to, pumpkin spiced lattes and thigh high boots. The latte never fails, but as anyone who’s ever worn over-the-knee footwear before will know, they tend to slouch, which isn’t practical. Today we’re answering the question: how to keep thigh high boots up?
Here are 5 ways to keep over the knee boots up
Thigh high boots are quintessential of fall and winter wear, but their biggest flaw is slouching, which can be annoying. Here are some quick hacks for thigh high boots.
1. Fashion Glue
Fashion glue is a particular type of adhesive used and developed for fashion shows and beauty pageants. It’s a unique formula that you can apply to your skin to prevent clothing or boots from sliding up or slouching down. You can also use it when wearing socks.
- JOMI COMPRESSION ROLL ON Body Adhesive is flexible, so you’ll move freely and forget it’s there. It's gentle, so it won’t irritate your skin. It's easy and comfortable to apply with our roll-on applicator. And it's long-lasting — holds all day, or until you choose to remove it.
- JOMI'S Body Adhesive holds up men’s and women’s socks, knee socks, nylons, pantyhose (eliminates the need for garters), dance socks and costumes (for Irish dancers, Scottish dancers, etc.), surgical and support stockings (even those without a gripping top band), anti-embolism stockings, surgical and orthopedic belts and devices, athletic tape, eyeglasses, shoulder straps, wigs and toupees, theatrical makeup and devices and anything else you want to hold up!
- How to use JOMI COMPRESSION ROLL ON Body Adhesive: Simply roll a small amount of glue onto your skin, for example at the top band of a stocking, then put article in place. When removing article, simply lift it off — HOLD UP won’t pull skin or hair. Wipe off with a damp cloth. Water completely removes our ROLL ON adhesive from skin and material, leaving no stain.
- Your Answer To Keeping Things In Place! JOMI COMPRESSION ROLL ON Body Adhesive is the solution you’ve been looking for. It keeps garments, socks, prosthetics, and many other items in place easily and comfortably! Our roll-on applicator helps you to apply the product quickly and easily wherever it is needed.
- JOMI COMPRESSION ROLL ON Body Adhesive will hold up almost anything that may slip on your skin | Proudly Made in the USA
It’s an inexpensive trick that works well. Here’s how you apply it:
- Take the fashion glue and apply a generous amount to your thighs where the boots will reach. Don’t be afraid to add a thick layer—you want the material to stick.
- When the glue is on, let it sit for 10 seconds to set.
- Put on your boots and press the material down into the glue. Ensure that you pull them as high as they can go.
- Then wait a few minutes to allow the glue to adhere to your boots. Remain still as much as possible while the adhesive dries. Try to apply pressure to the areas as you wait to ensure that it sticks. Then you’re ready to go.
- Once it’s time to remove the boots, gently pull the material from your skin. Pull or wiggle it off without using excessive force. Tugging or ribbing can lead to minor skin injuries.
- When the boots are off, use a cloth soaked in warm water to rinse the leftover glue off your thighs.
- Read the label of the glue to verify that you aren’t allergic to any of its content. If you’re unsure, do a test in a small area—apply a tiny amount and wait for 24 hours for a reaction.
- Never apply regular glue to your skin. Fashion glue is a special formula designed for skin, whereas standard adhesive isn’t.
- For a tighter fit, wear thigh high socks and apply the glue to them. These add bulk around your thigh, making it more likely that the boots will stay up.
- If you notice any irritation or excessive redness after removing the glue, discontinue its use.
2. Boot Straps
Boot straps are easy to make at home using elastics and Velcro. It’s basically an elastic loop that you place around your thigh and then attach to your boot using Velcro strips.
Making Your Own Boot Straps
All you need is two elastics, glue and Velcro.
- Start by creating a loop with the elastic. Apply glue to the ends and then stick them together. Make sure that the loop fits around your thigh.
- Take the Velcro and attach one side to the elastic strap and the other to the inside of your boot.
- Repeat with the other boot.
- When you put on your boots, ensure that the Velcro strips align. Then simply press them together and they shouldn’t slouch.
Here’s a helpful video on how to make your own boot strap.
3. Wear Thick Socks
Sometimes all you need is a thicker pair of socks to fill out the space between the boot and your thigh. When wearing thigh high socks underneath, it creates slight friction and tightness, which may be enough to support the upper part. If applicable, try layering your socks.
- If you have an old pair of thigh high socks, try cutting the bottom half off to create a sleeve around your thigh. This way, you can achieve the effects of wearing two socks without suffocating your feet.
- You can also prevent them from slouching while wearing jeans or thick leggings.
4. Fold the Upper Part
If you’ve got room, try folding the upper part of the boot sitting around your thigh. This fills out the space, making it tighter in the problem area.
5. Try Fashion Tape
As with fashion glue, fashion tape is a durable, double-sided adhesive you can use for your boots. If your footwear is of tough material, like leather, you’ll probably need more boot stay tape.
- ✅ HOLDS CLOTHING STEADY - Fearless double sided tape will hold your clothing and hemlines comfortably against your skin or undergarments to keep your outfit refined, classy and elegant all day long. No more embarrassing slips, visible straps or sagging necklines. Each strip is 1/2" wide X 3" long.
- ✅ SAFE ON SKIN - Our special adhesive is designed to be skin safe and not cause irritation when applied directly to your skin. We use safe materials that are comfortable all day long, but also wash off easily, so you don't have to deal with annoying residue or unsightly glue marks.
- ✅ FABRIC FRIENDLY - Stop ruining your clothing and fabrics with holes from metal pins! Unlike pins, our double sided tape is invisible to everyone but you! There are no lumpy marks or lines that often appear with metal pins. Our adhesive is designed to not leave residue on your fabric after removal.
- ✅ MOVE WITH CONFIDENCE - Professional women and super moms are always on the go! That's why our tape is built to hold up to movement and real life use. No need to stand like a statue to maintain your perfect silhouette. Feel free and fearless in wedding dresses, prom gowns or stylish everyday attire.
- ✅ BE FEARLESS - Women, moms and teens all over the USA love our tape because they can be fearless with their outfits and personal style. We are so confident you'll love our tape that we have a 100% Money Back Guarantee on each pack we sell...join thousands of happy customers...Click Add-to-Cart Today!
Avoid attaching it directly to your skin. Instead, wear socks—otherwise, it could hurt when you remove it.
How to Make Boots Tighter
If your thigh high boots are made of leather, you may be able to shrink the fit slightly. However, keep in mind that you shouldn’t do this with nubuck or suede as it could get ruined.
This is what you’ll do:
- Fill a tub or water basin with water.
- Place your boots so that they’re completely submerged. Then leave them for an hour.
- Put on a pair of thigh high socks and dunk them in water to make them wet.
- Then put on the wet boots over your wet socks. This will help the leather shrink.
- Continue to wear the boots until the socks are dry. As the leather dries, it shrinks around your leg.
- Following the procedure, you can apply some leather conditioner to the boots.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Stop My Boots From Slouching in My Closet?
There are many easy DIY hacks for preventing slouching while storing your tall boots. You can use anything from rolled magazines to plastic bottles and pool noodles. But always place them standing up—this also prevents wrinkles.
What Is a Boot Bra?
A boot bra for over the knee boots is an adjustable elastic that you wear around your leg. It includes snaps that you attach to your boot, and it prevents slouching. You can purchase them online.
What Can I Do If My Boots Are Too Big?
If your boots are too big in the feet, it’s important to correct as it can result in blisters and hinder how you walk. You can use anything from thicker insoles to multiple socks to fill out the extra space. For quick fixes, simply use toilet paper as stuffing.
If you haven’t purchased your boots yet, we recommend that you read our how should boots fit guide.
How to keep thigh high boots up? As we’ve seen today, there are plenty of methods of preventing your tall boots from slouching. For quick solutions, wear thicker socks, tie them a bit tighter or fold the top part. If you have time, try making your own boot strap.
For leather boots, excluding nubuck and suede, you could try the shrinking method for a more permanent solution. However, don’t forget that proper storage is also a way to prevent slouching boots.
We hope that you found our tips helpful. We’d love to hear your opinions below and please share with friends and family.