Keeping your leather boots looking pristine is a tough task—unless you never wear them. The best way to preserve their appearance is by investing in a premium leather cream.
In this article, we’ve put together a comprehensive Meltonian shoe cream review to see if this brand is worth it.
Meltonian Boot and Shoe Cream Polish
The Meltonian shoe cream is an excellent choice if your footwear is prone to marks and stains. The special formula penetrates deeper into the leather than other brands, resulting in a better and longer-lasting finished look.
Another benefit of this shoe cream is that it works effectively at removing previous polish from leather. This is especially helpful if you’ve accidentally applied the wrong color polish to your shoes. Instead, it will give your footwear a smooth feeling as if you’ve conditioned them.
The Meltonian shoe cream formula consists of certain waxes and oils that work to make shoe materials smooth and less weathered. You have 28 colors to choose from—ranging from black to raspberry pink. However, matching the hue with your shoe, may take a few attempts.
Each solution comes in a 1.5-ounce glass jar, which seems small, but a little goes a long way. The cream spreads easily and blends well with the surface. Once applied, it prevents drying and cracking.
- Easy to distribute on the material.
- Several colors are available.
- Removes old polish.
- Prevents drying and cracking.
- Due to the vast color selection, it can be tricky finding the right one for you.
|Meltonian Boot and Shoe Cream Polish work effectively at keeping your footwear looking well-kept. The formula penetrates the material, removing stains and marks as well as old polish.|
Difference Between Shoe Cream and Polish
When you want a substance that can keep your leather shoes looking fresh and brand new, you need to consider your options. People often confuse shoe cream and polish, yet, although similar, both serve their own purpose. This is why it’s essential to get it right for the best results. Here’s an overview:
As the name suggests, shoe polish works to shine your leather footwear, giving them a polished finish. It consists of a mixture of wax, liquid and dye.
The leather doesn’t absorb polish. Instead, the content creates shine as you buff it on the surface. New leather footwear has this polished look, which disappears over time as you wear them. Regularly applying this type of shoe lotion can maintain the appearance, preserving their “new” look.
If you’re aiming to revive your footwear, please read our review of the best boot polish.
Why Use Shoe Polish?
If you own leather footwear, shoe polish is an item that you should never neglect. Leather is animal hide or skin, which means it contains imperfections and pores, similarly to your skin. Shoe polish works to even out those blemishes, leaving the surface looking healthier and brighter.
As leather ages, it slowly begins to lose its outer layers. Over time, flakes drop off, but these are so small, it’s almost impossible for us to see them. In addition to this, the scuffs and scratches that you accumulate while wearing them gives a worn-down appearance.
So although your leather boots appear faded and dull, they probably still have lots of wear left. Polish will restore their look, which may prolong their life.
Shoe cream, like Meltonian, is a type of polish that provides color to preserve the original appearance of your leather footwear. It’s thick and rich, working on conditioning the material.
It contains slightly less wax than polish. Instead, it includes a higher amount of pigment.
Shoe cream works to mask scratches, scuffs and uneven fading. However, unlike polish, you can’t buff it to a significant shine. It creates more of a matte finish, similar to what you’d see with satin paint.
Why Use Shoe Cream?
Shoe cream has many benefits when used regularly. It can help to maintain the color of your shoes and keep them looking vibrant.
It’s not to be confused with leather dye, because instead of altering the color of your footwear, it merely enhances it. Shoe cream leaves a thin layer of colored wax on the surface, which heightens the original hue.
A benefit of shoe cream is that most are capable of removing previous polish that might be giving your footwear a bland color and looking bad. Meltonian works well at doing this.
What’s more, you don’t have to match the shade precisely to the leather—a close resemblance can still improve the look.
Watch this video for more differences in shoe cream and polish.
Choosing the Best Shoe Cream
There are a few essential things to keep in mind when choosing a shoe cream. Using the wrong one with specific ingredients or texture can potentially ruin your shoes. These are the points to consider:
Ensure that the cream doesn’t include any harmful ingredients. Some manufacturers mix their products with harsh chemicals and other substances, promising to provide shine and protection. Instead, it’s likely to ruin the leather.
Because of this, it’s best to find a shoe cream with natural ingredients. A crucial part is wax. This is what protects your leather and preserves a healthy condition. It also creates a water-resistant layer.
Natural butter, such as shea butter, are fantastic components to look for. These will give your shoes a “new leather smell.”
However, avoid animal fats. Such substances, although natural, will leave an unpleasant odor behind and may cause rotting. It also won’t improve the appearance of your leather. It may affect the stitching as well as altering the color.
Shoe creams, including Meltonian, are available in various colors. Although you don’t have to be spot on, it’s best to choose a close resemblance.
Matching the cream to your leather as closely as possible will give you the best results. If you were to use a light tone on your dark-brown dress shoes, they might appear blotchy and even dirty.
How to Use Meltonian Shoe Cream
Using Meltonian shoe cream is almost the same process as any other brand. Here’s what you need:
- Clean cloths (about two or three).
- Meltonian shoe cream.
- A shoe shine brush.
- Toothbrush (optional).
Here’s what you do:
- Start by removing as much dirt as possible from your shoes. Do this by dampening a clean cloth with a little water and make circular motions all over. This is an essential step to create an even surface.
- Leave your shoes to dry before moving on. Applying shoe cream to wet leather isn’t advisable.
- While they’re drying, take the newspaper and place it on the surface you’re working on to prevent stains.
- Once the material is completely dry, get your shoe cream. Apply a small amount to a clean cloth, then gently dab it on different spots before proceeding to work it into the shoe. Use small circular motions.
- For crevices, use an old toothbrush to apply the cream. Make sure that it’s soft to prevent scratches. Use it near the sole and on the tongue around the shoelaces.
- Leave your shoes to dry for roughly five minutes.
- Take a shoe shine brush, like this horsehair brush from Kiwi. Use that to buff the surface for a little bit of shine. It won’t create as much shine as pure shoe polish, but it’s a good step to include for a satin finish.
- Leave them to dry for a couple of hours before wearing, and you’re done.
- When using a cloth, wrap it tightly around your index and middle finger. This removes leftover material getting in the way and increases the efficiency of your movements.
- Only apply a small amount of shoe cream at a time. Using too much makes it difficult to distribute evenly and the result won’t be as good.
- If your shoes are filthy, use a leather shampoo or cleaner, like this one from Chemical Guys for a deeper cleanse. However, keep in mind that the material will probably need more time to dry, so find a time when you aren’t busy.
Is Meltonian the Best Shoe Cream?
Meltonian has a lot of benefits. It’s a shoe cream and polish that removes blemishes and cosmetic damages from your leather footwear. Here are some advantages and disadvantages to help you make a decision:
Benefits of Using Meltonian Shoe Cream
- The Meltonian shoe cream is one of the most attractive options out there for leather shoe owners. It delivers excellent results without rigorous work to buff the material. When applied, you’ll quickly notice a soft, professional shine, almost satin-like.
- It creates a protective layer around the material, preventing cracking and deep creases. This is especially useful for leather boots that are often susceptible to unsightly damage.
- You can use it to change the color of your shoes. Of course, it isn’t a leather dye, but it can alter the hue a few shades, giving an old pair of boots a new look.
- It’s relatively affordable and easy to spread, so you only need a small amount with every application.
Meltonian Shoe Cream Disadvantages
- One con that often pops up is that, while it doubles as a polish, the shine can appear lackluster. What you can do is apply two or three layers and then work with the horsehair brush. Also, for that extra buff up, try using a pure polish on top.
- If you’re outside the U.S., it isn’t easy to get a hold of. It doesn’t ship internationally.
Is Meltonian Shoe Cream Waterproof?
Although it isn’t advertised as being waterproof, it does effectively wick away raindrops and moisture. It contains a decent amount of wax, which does have water-resistant effects. However, don’t expect that it will protect your leather shoes while you’re jumping in puddles.
If you’re looking to preserve your shoes, you can try the Meltonian Water and Stain Protector spray. This will prevent water and oil-based stains—you can use it on leather and suede.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Kelly’s Shoe Cream the Same as Meltonian?
Kelly’s shoe cream is a close resemblance to Meltonian, but it isn’t the same manufacturer. Kelly’s shoe cream is produced by Kelly’s, whereas Meltonian is a product from Johnson and Johnson.
What Is the Best Shoe Cream?
When it comes to shoe creams, you have a variety to choose from. Putting Meltonian to one side, another favored option is the Moneysworth and Best Shoe Cream. There are also various colors and it includes natural ingredients.
Following this, there’s the Saphir Medaille d’Or Pommadier natural cream. It consists of seven waxes, including beeswax and carnauba, as well as shea butter. It works to clean and nourish your leather while providing a gentle shine.
Which Is Better Shoe Polish or Cream?
Shoe cream and polish are relatively similar. Still, if you want shine, go with a wax polish that can cover up scuffs and seal the surface. Cream, on the other hand, adds a layer on top, which seals and preserves the color.
Cream is like a conditioner, whereas polish is more of a shampoo. If you’re applying too much polish, it can dry out the leather, so both have their uses.
If you’re either the creative type or open to alternative methods of shoe-shining, our guide on how to shine shoes without polish details some simple home remedies for your footwear.
Following our Meltonian shoe cream review, it’s clear that it’s one of the best products for your shoes. It works to preserve and shine, and it’s suitable for various shades of leather.
We hope you found our short review helpful. We’d love to hear from you in the section below, and please share our article.