Initially founded in 1906, the fledgling company produced orthotic insoles and not much else. Today, New Balance sells sportswear apparel and accessories, as well as a wide range of athletic and casual footwear.
Are you curious to know how do New Balance shoes fit? If you’re considering a pair, correct sizing should be your priority after picking your preferred style.
We detail all the information you need to achieve a comfy fit, from the New Balance shoe size chart to helpful sizing tips.
How do New Balance shoes fit includes:
- Shoe size chart.
- Do they run true to size?
- Do they run small?
- Brand comparisons.
New Balance Shoe Size Chart
New Balance provides generic sizing charts for men, women, and kids. They offer conversions into US, UK, and EU sizes with the corresponding dimensions in centimeters available for each one. There are half sizes up to a men’s size 13 and women’s size 14.
Widths for adults exist in extra-narrow to xx-wide, and standard to extra-wide for kids. Note that not all widths exist for all models of shoes.
What Do New Balance Widths Mean?
- The standard width for women is B, D for men, and M for kids. If most of your footwear is regular-sized, you can opt for these dimensions.
- Do the majority of shoes feel wider than usual for you? Men can opt for a B or 2A and women a 2A or 4A. There are no widths below the standard (M) for children.
- If your problem is narrow-fitting footgear, you probably have wide feet. Men should consider 2E, 4E, or 6E. Women have the choice of D, 2E, or 4E. You can pick a 4E shoe for kids with wider-than-average feet.
How to Size New Balance Shoes
There’s little that’s more frustrating than receiving your much-anticipated pair of shoes, only to discover they don’t fit you. Take into account these suggestions:
- Even if you bought footwear for yourself or your child recently, retake foot measurements. Our feet change size as we grow, get older, and go through life changes such as pregnancy. This video shows you how to measure your feet accurately.
- Take your measurements and try your shoes later in the day, or after training sessions. Hard exercise and everyday activities like standing or sitting for long periods can cause swollen feet.
- Don’t forget to try your shoes on with the same socks you’ll wear usually. For instance, athletes should wear sport-appropriate socks.
- Wearers with orthotics shouldn’t forget them during the sizing process. Thicker insoles can alter the way your footgear fits.
- If your shoes have laces, the laces should run parallel, and you should be able to fit two fingers underneath them.
- You should be able to move and wiggle your toes in your shoes without feeling squeezed. There shouldn’t be more than one thumb’s width between your toes and the toe-box.
- Your feet should fit into the shoes without crinkling up the shoe material. If they’re hanging over the midsole, you need to go up in width. Sliding in and out of the heel cup means your pair is too large.
- The shoe midfoot should be snug over the top of your foot and underneath your arch.
- Are you between sizes? New Balance recommends picking a larger size and adapting the fit with insoles, socks, or a particular lacing pattern, such as criss-cross laces. This video demonstrates a few you can try.
- If you have feet that are narrower towards the heel and wider at the forefoot, you may benefit from the New Balance SL-2 Last They have a wider toe box and a narrower heel than other models.
- Some of you may have one foot that’s larger than the other. If so, pick a New Balance shoe size that fits the larger one.
- Those of you who are amputees or have a significant difference in foot size can see your options for ordering two separately-sized shoes here.
- New Balance shoes don’t have a “break-in” period. If your kicks aren’t comfortable straight out of the box, you likely bought the wrong size.
- Try your shoes on indoors to be sure they fit right without voiding the return policy. Walk around or, if you play a sport, experiment with your range of motion by jumping or jogging in place.
Additional Tips for Kids
If you’re buying New Balance shoes for your little one, here are a few more sizing recommendations:
- Age ranges are only a guide: every child grows differently. A three-year-old may fit in an infant’s size 10 or a preschool size 10.5. A grade-school boy might feel comfortable in a men’s 7-2E if he wears a 7-XW.
- Measure your child’s feet (both length and width) and round up to the closest measurements on the kids’ sizing chart. You can also print out the New Balance kids’ fitting chart for width.
Do New Balance Run True to Size?
Yes, the majority opinion is that New Balance runs true to size. The brand itself states that its shoes should be a perfect fit right out of the box.
The multiple width options should allow you to pick a pair that compensates for your foot breadth as well as length.
Do New Balance Shoes Run Small?
No, most buyers agree that New Balance shoes are true to size. Certain people have a higher likelihood of choosing shoes that are too narrow, such as diabetics. That’s why all customers should measure their feet before purchase.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do New Balance Shoes Fit Compared to Adidas?
New Balance vs. Adidas sizing varies based on the specific size. For instance, a US women’s size 8 is 9.7 inches with Adidas and roughly 9.6 inches from New Balance.
On the other hand, Adidas men’s US 11 measures out at 11 inches. The same size at New Balance is 11.4 inches, 4 millimeters larger.
How Do New Balance Shoes Fit Compared to Nike?
As with Adidas, Nike vs. New Balance shoe sizing can differ dramatically based on the exact size. For example, men shopping at Nike will find a size 7 translates to 9.6 inches. At New Balance, a 7 is 9.8 inches.
Millimeters of difference can impact how well your shoes fit. Don’t mix up size charts while you shop, use the brand-specific one.
How Long Do New Balance Shoes Last?
New Balance suggests rotating out athletic shoes to reduce wear and tear. This type of footgear may have reduced cushioning and support after several months of consistent use. Longevity will also depend on other factors, such as choosing the right size and the appropriate shoe for your sport of choice.
We hope you enjoyed learning the answer to how New Balance shoes fit. Size measurements can be tricky, even with big-name brands.
Our simple sizing techniques can save you the time and hassle of returning poorly-sized footwear. You can put your new shoes into action, straight out of the box.
Did we help you figure out your perfect size? If yes, we encourage you to share our New Balance size guide with fellow NB enthusiasts. We want to know your opinion in the comments section.