Skechers is an American shoe brand, producing both casual and performance footwear. Its collections are famous for their appearance and memory foam insoles.
If you own a pair of Skechers, you’ll want to keep them as fresh and new-looking as possible. So today, we’re explaining how to wash Skechers memory foam shoes.
How to Wash Skechers Memory Foam Shoes
Most Skechers shoes include memory foam. Below we’ve included different guides for washing various materials Skechers offers.
Washing Skechers Performance Shoes
Skechers Performance shoes, such as the GOwalk and GOrun, include non-leather uppers. Skechers suggest that you use its Skechers Athletic Cleanser gel and a soft cloth. It’s not recommended to fully submerge the shoes or put them in the washing machine.
- Brightens and cleans fabric, suede and leather
- Removes dirt and stains to keep your footwear looking new
- Eco-friendly and made in the USA
Here’s what you need:
- Soft brush, toothbrush, rag or cloth.
- Skechers Athletic Cleanser gel.
This is what you do:
- Take the cleaner and shake the container well.
- Apply a small amount on a hidden part of the shoe to check for colorfastness. If nothing changes, you’re good to go.
- Then apply the solution directly to a soft brush, toothbrush or cloth. Scrub the shoes thoroughly.
- Take a new clean, dry cloth and wipe off the surfaces to remove excess dirt and moisture.
- Set the shoes aside and let them dry completely before wearing. Avoid direct sunlight.
- When the shoes are dry, apply a rain and stain protector to avoid further stains.
- INSTANTLY ADDS A WATER RESISTANT LAYER WHILE PROTECTING AGAINST STAINS: Quickly and easily protects footwear, outerwear and more against the elements by preventing damage from water, salt, oil, dirt, rain, mud and grime. Simply spray on to adds a protective barrier to leather, suede, nubuck, and fabric that protects while allowing the material fibers to breathe. Our aerosol repellent goes on clear and dries residue free, without compromising the natural beauty of your leather and fabric goods.
- FORMULATED FOR DESIGNER & LUXURY GOODS: Our premium stain and water repellent formula is designed to keep your premium leather and fabric goods looking fantastic. It can safely be used on all colors and will not darken leather or material. Use our exclusive formulation regularly to protect items, extending their life while maintaining an impeccable appearance. Perfect for shoes, boots, hand bags, purses, coats, jackets, belts, furniture, auto interiors and more. Safe on all leather colors.
- EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY: We use a superior formula not found in other lesser quality brands. Do not be fooled by imitation products! Our Waterproofer and Stain Repellent is made to strict, tested, trade-secret standards to ensures a safe use on high-end leather goods. It's an excellent birthday, Christmas, graduation or anniversary gift for men, women, boyfriend, girlfriend, businessmen, or groomsmen. We stand behind the quality of our Made in USA products with a 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE.
- SAFE FOR FINISHED LEATHERS: Our waterproofing spray is dye free, neat and safe to use. Use it to protect all smooth finished leathers, reptile and exotic skins, vinyl and all colorfast fabrics. Simply shake and spray to cover the surface of your item and let it dry. The water repellent and stain preventer will dry without darkening your leather or leaving a residue and will continue to allow the leather to breathe.
- OUR ETHICAL FAMILY COMMITMENT: Proudly made in the USA with locally sourced, sustainable ingredients and animal cruelty free. We stand behind the quality of our products with a 100% Money Back Guarantee! If you don't love our Water and Stain Protector, let us know and receive a full, no questions asked refund. We are a small family owned business committed to making great products here in America that are safe for you and your family!
- If the insoles have an odor to them, take them out and sprinkle on some baking soda and let it sit for a few hours. You can also leave them out in the sun—the light kills bacteria.
- If you don’t have the Skechers Athletic Cleanser gel, you can use a mild laundry detergent diluted with warm water. However, don’t soak the shoes.
Cleaning Mesh or Nylon Skechers
Most of the casual shoes from Skechers consist of mesh and nylon. These are easy to clean using the same Athletic Cleanser gel as above and a soft cloth. If the care label states so, you can put them in the washing machine on a cold, gentle cycle. Here’s how you do it:
- Remove the Memory Foam insole. If you’re going to put the shoes in the washer, always remove the foam insole—leave it to the side and let it “puff” back.
- Next, it’s a good idea to remove the shoelaces to avoid any tangles. If they need cleaning too, place them in a pillowcase and into the washer.
- Set the machine on a cold, gentle cycle and, when finished, air-dry the shoes.
- Don’t use the dryer, as the heat can compromise their makeup. Instead, let them air-dry away from direct sunlight.
- When the shoes are dry, apply a rain and stain guard, as above.
- Remove the insole once a month to allow them to regain their puffiness. This also allows them to breathe, which may increase their longevity.
How to Clean Skechers Leather Shoes
Skechers offers different types of leather, such as suede and nubuck. With leather shoes, you must never use the washing machine or dryer. This is what you need:
Here’s what you do:
- With the suede brush, carry out gentle strokes across the surface to remove dirt and debris. Once you’re nearly finished, brush over the shoe using strokes in the same direction to give the material a uniform look.
- If your shoe has memory foam insoles, remove them and let them air out.
- Take a few spoonfuls of laundry detergent and mix it with some water. Use a clean rag and saturate it with the warm soapy water. Wipe down all non-leather parts of the shoe, such as the sole and outsole.
- Grab a new cloth and moisten it with cold water and wipe away all soapy residue. Let the shoes dry for a few hours.
- Get a leather-friendly waterproofing spray and apply one coat to the exterior and let it dry for a few minutes. Then apply another coat and wipe off any excess solution. Let your shoes dry completely before wearing them.
- If you can’t find a suede brush, a crepe brush, brass wire brush or a suede eraser will do.
- Avoid using shoe polish or conditioner on nubuck and suede footwear.
How to Clean Skechers Light Up Shoes
Skechers light up shoes are available for children. But when it comes to looking after them, it’s essential to be careful not to ruin the feature. Skechers doesn’t recommend using any water when cleaning them, as this could impair the light-up function. Instead, here’s what you do:
- If it has a memory foam insole, take that out and allow it to puff up.
- Grab a small brush or rag and proceed to rub any dirt or stains. Continue brushing until most debris becomes loose.
If there’s dirt on the soles or other places away from the light-up feature, you can take a damp cloth and wipe those off. However, be careful—only use a tiny amount of water.
Using the Skechers Cleaning Kit
The Skechers Cleaning kit is a collection of specially formulated solutions that work to freshen up your shoes. The kit includes the Athletic Cleanser gel, WaterProofer and Odor Removal.
The Skechers Athletic Cleanser is suitable for fabric and suede shoes. It works to clean and lighten up the material by removing stains. Following the cleanser, there’s the Water Proofer. This formula creates a breathable, yet waterproof barrier on your shoes that’s also fluid and stain-resistant, making it easy to wipe clean.
The last item in the kit is the Odor Eliminator. This solution eliminates smells and keeps the interior of the shoes fresh. All the formulas are eco-friendly and come in a travel-friendly case.
Here’s how you use them:
- Start by applying a small amount of the Athletic Cleanser gel to a sponge, brush or cloth. Proceed to scrub the surface thoroughly until stains and dirt fade.
- Take a clean cloth and wipe away excess moisture. Leave the shoes to dry.
- Once the shoes are completely dry, take the Water Proofer and spray from a 6-inch distance. Try to apply it thoroughly and evenly in a well-ventilated room. Let it dry for 24 hours before wearing.
- Lastly, Skechers recommend that you treat the interior of your shoes with the Odor Eliminator spray after every use. Apply a generous amount and let them dry before wearing again.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Get the Smell out of Memory Foam Shoes?
Memory foam is a cushioning footbed that makes your feet feel comfortable, even after standing for a few hours. The drawback, however, is that they tend to absorb odors like a sponge, so it’s essential to clean.
With Skechers Memory Foam shoes, the best way to get rid of odors is to use its Odor Eliminator spray. Use the eco-friendly solution after every wear, and in a few days, any smells should be gone. After this, you can use it less frequently, for example, once every third to fourth wear.
If you don’t have the Odor Eliminator, you can use other deodorizing sprays. Although, consult the label beforehand. You can also read our complete guide on how to clean smelly shoe insoles.
An alternative method is baking soda. Put approximately 0.5 cups of baking soda into a pair of socks. Tie the ends and place one in each shoe and let them sit overnight. In the morning, remove powder from the sock and clean it in the washing machine.
Here’s a video on how to deodorize shoes with baking soda.
Do You Wear Socks With Skechers Memory Foam?
Although the memory foam insole feels soft and comfy on your feet, it’s recommended to wear socks. In fact, with all synthetic soles, you should always try to wear socks. The only exception to this rule is when the shoes are machine washable. Otherwise, you run the risk of creating a bacteria breeding ground.
Our feet contain approximately 250,000 sweat glands that together produce more sweat than any other place on our body. Because of this, socks are essential as they absorb the sweat from your feet throughout your day.
Can You Put Skechers Memory Foam in the Washer?
Most of the casual, non-leather Skechers shoes can be machine washed without issue, even the Memory Foam insoles. Use a gentle cycle and air-dry once finished—never use the dryer as the heat can damage the materials. Ensure that the shoes are completely dry and then treat them with the Water Proofer, which also keeps them clean for longer.
For shoes with light-up features or any electronics attached, you should never put them in the washer. They will suffer significant damage from being submerged in water. Instead, use the steps from earlier to clean them.
How to wash Skechers Memory Foam shoes? It depends on the material used for your particular shoe. Nylon and mesh are easy to clean and you can probably use the washing machine. Leather, like suede and nubuck, should only be brushed. An ideal way to keep your Skechers clean is to use its Cleaning Kit.
Most Skechers footwear includes a Memory Foam insole that you can remove and allow to air out. Treat it with the Odor Eliminator spray to avoid smells and wear socks whenever possible.
We hope that you got an answer to your query. We’d love to hear from you in the comments and feel free to share with other Skechers owners.